Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Default PT9 + CPTK upgrading to 11 with CPTK functionality but without hardware?

Hi to all the myriad PT users out there!

I've been doing hi-level post-pro sound with Pro Tools going back to V3... yes that's 18 years ago! As a freelance editor, I've endeavoured to keep up with the latest and greatest versions of PT, subject to the consequent (financial) highs and lows, but have always remained loyal to it… even though I've used Nuendo, Audiovision, Waveframe, Audiofile, SoundStation and Akai DD1500 in anger over the years.

But right now I simply want to know whether I can upgrade from my V9+CPTK to V11 without losing my timecode, AAF import and timecode ruler functionality and, as importantly, without purchasing any extra hardware to hear what the hell I'm doing…bearing in mind I just need to edit and monitor (down-mixed or otherwise) in stereo?!

Digital Village in the UK are still selling the:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-...n-card--106352

If I buy this will I still retain the aforementioned post functionality? If not, what's my next move. Can I get a $999 upgrade to PT11HD WITHOUT buying a new interface? Is that how it works?

Apologies if this is a question that's been asked before or seems obvious to those in the know. All I can say is I've been too busy editing and re-couping my investments in previous PT hardware/software and now find myself at a loss.

Very many thanks,

Richard T
Apple Mac Mini late 2012 2.3Ghz i7 - PT 9.0.6 + CPTK
OSX 10.8.4
Countless audio plug-ins
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Default Re: PT9 + CPTK upgrading to 11 with CPTK functionality but without hardware?

The things you mentioned (timecode, AAF, etc.) exist in regular PT9, 10, and now 11 without even needing the CPTK. So you could just upgrade from regular 9 to regular 11 and be fine.

But as a CPTK and PT9 owner, you have a special opportunity to upgrade to HD11 software, without buying any HD hardware. This would give you Surround mixing, expanded track count, multiple video tracks, VCA tracks, and more. HD11 also comes with a license for HD10, which you may want to consider using if your favorite plugins are not yet AAX.

This would be a little more expensive, and future upgrades would be a little more expensive as well, because each time you'd be going from HD software to HD software.

If you decide to go this route, I believe it can only be done through the Avid online store. It would require you to surrender both the PT9 and CPTK licenses.