Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Pops noise after quick punch. Pics included.

This is a problem with QP itself. I don't have this problem in 9 but did have it in 8.04. When you use QP it starts recording as soon as you hit play. If you have a 2 bar pre roll and a 2 bar post roll the problem will occur where the region begins, not where the recording begins. I hope I don't run into this in 9! I had a whole day of pencil tool fun with that one!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Method should be irrelevant. If the output of the A/D isn't transferred to disc sans modification, we have serious problems.
Sorry, i don't know what you even just said. I know what a/d is but the rest you lost me on......Can you dumb this down?

Ive tried with my rosetta 800 hooked to my 002 via adat and then unhooked that and tried with just my digi002 and its the same on both.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Method should be irrelevant.
Well no.. method isn't irrelevant because a lot of peeps get pops from just hitting stop instead of stopping the recording pass then stopping it...

I get sessions from people all the time like that where I then hav to clean up there mishap...

that is why I asked about the method...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
This is a problem with QP itself. I don't have this problem in 9 but did have it in 8.04. When you use QP it starts recording as soon as you hit play. If you have a 2 bar pre roll and a 2 bar post roll the problem will occur where the region begins, not where the recording begins. I hope I don't run into this in 9! I had a whole day of pencil tool fun with that one!
Yea its been a huge pain. I have to work everyday using protools and this problem gets old real fast when your punching in stuff 50+ times a day.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Is this just in Windows? I couldn't duplicate the probem on PT M-Powered 8.0.4 on Mac OS 10.6.5. The discontinuity is right at the region mark (not delayed) and a quick punch crossfade value other than zero creates the desired ramp eliminating the pop.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Well it all started for me with the Windows 7 64 bit upgrade.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken81 View Post
Sorry, i don't know what you even just said.
Sorry. I mean, if the converter passes a given string of bit values to the program, it had darn well better write that string to disc without changing it in any way for the entire time that you're in record.

I'm shocked that a tool like PT would do otherwise. Seeing now that this has been a known issue for several weeks, I'm surprised there hasn't been a full-voice chorus of protest. Maybe it doesn't affect very many users? Maybe everyone was so busy complaining about the other major issues in 8.x that we hadn't got around to this issue yet? If you can't trust an audio recording program to record properly, what can you trust it to do? This is worse than the old play-pause plague and the improper placement issue put together.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Well no.. method isn't irrelevant because a lot of peeps get pops from just hitting stop instead of stopping the recording pass then stopping it..
Oh, I see what you mean. I only meant that a different method of punching in and out shouldn't change the waveform within the recorded area, which is what's happening here. It looks like PT is writing zeros at the punch point even when using Quickpunch. That's heart-attack material for me.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry. I mean, if the converter passes a given string of bit values to the program, it had darn well better write that string to disc without changing it in any way for the entire time that you're in record.

I'm shocked that a tool like PT would do otherwise. Seeing now that this has been a known issue for several weeks, I'm surprised there hasn't been a full-voice chorus of protest. Maybe it doesn't affect very many users? Maybe everyone was so busy complaining about the other major issues in 8.x that we hadn't got around to this issue yet? If you can't trust an audio recording program to record properly, what can you trust it to do? This is worse than the old play-pause plague and the improper placement issue put together.
Yea i think most don't even notice it if they have the problem. I thought it was just my punch ins doing the pop sound at first until I got everything crossfaded and the pops where still there. On drums and such its never really a problem and guitars its very small and you have to really listen hard to hear them. Bass for me its super loud and cuts through a mix.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken81 View Post
Yea i think most don't even notice it if they have the problem. I thought it was just my punch ins doing the pop sound at first until I got everything crossfaded and the pops where still there. On drums and such its never really a problem and guitars its very small and you have to really listen hard to hear them. Bass for me its super loud and cuts through a mix.

I upgraded to Win7 64 and PT9 the other day and things are kind of smooth, havent had any issues other than me not reading this forum in advance and finding out that you should always run PT as administrator and such.
Anyways, played something up today and whenever i hit pause (space) i hear a cracle/distorsionsound. When i hit play i dont remember but i think it´s there also. The only thing i can think of is that i have enabled AHCI for my HDD´s in the BIOS. The session was recorded on PT 8.0.1 with the 8.0.4 audiodrivers.
Other than that, i have made no rearrangements of my computers BIOS or settings than i had on XP 32 bit with PT 8.0.1.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/