Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Bouncing Stems in Pro Tools??

Quick question.... first off, to my knowledge, a stem is a group of tracks mixed down to either a mono or stereo file, no? I was looking at tutorials of bouncing stems online and everyone is just exporting multi tracks. That isn't what I want to do.

I have my drums soloed, and I want to just bounce the whole drum mix down to a stereo file. I figured just soloing the drums, selecting them, then bouncing down the Master out would just make me a mix down of the stereo drums, but it's mixing the whole song down, even though I only have the drums soloed. I feel like I've done this a million times, but now for some reason it just doesn't work. Am I missing something, or has it just been that long that I forgot how to do this simple task?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Bouncing Stems in Pro Tools??

Send all your drum tracks to an aux bus (drum sub), include that track in your drum group (all your individual drum tracks plus the drum sub aux track) then highlight "drums" in the groups list and freeze any one of the tracks. It'll freeze them all and bounce a mix of all the drums onto the aux track. It took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't control the gain of the individual drums( after freezing the tracks) until I banked right and saw the waveform in the drum sub track. You can then export that clip wherever you'd like.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Bouncing Stems in Pro Tools??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Quick question.... first off, to my knowledge, a stem is a group of tracks mixed down to either a mono or stereo file, no? I was looking at tutorials of bouncing stems online and everyone is just exporting multi tracks. That isn't what I want to do.

I have my drums soloed, and I want to just bounce the whole drum mix down to a stereo file. I figured just soloing the drums, selecting them, then bouncing down the Master out would just make me a mix down of the stereo drums, but it's mixing the whole song down, even though I only have the drums soloed. I feel like I've done this a million times, but now for some reason it just doesn't work. Am I missing something, or has it just been that long that I forgot how to do this simple task?
You have to mute unwanted tracks.