Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 02:29 AM

Default A good option for monitors?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of behringer (sp?) monitors, don;t know if they have a few different models or not but i'm looking the pair for about $1000 aus ($500 us?). Is this a good move or is there a better set for around this mark? the only other thing that's been suggested to me for a similiar price are the revolution note-perfects - which are not self powered.

what do you guys use / reccommend?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:47 AM

Default Re: A good option for monitors?

Hi, i live in Melb. I would look at the Alesis M1 Actives MK2, they are about $1,200. They are not the best but they are better than the Berhingers, in my opinion. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by agent fu:
I'm thinking about getting a pair of behringer (sp?) monitors, don;t know if they have a few different models or not but i'm looking the pair for about $1000 aus ($500 us?). Is this a good move or is there a better set for around this mark? the only other thing that's been suggested to me for a similiar price are the revolution note-perfects - which are not self powered.

what do you guys use / reccommend?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fu,

i have a pair of Event 20/20 bas I love. they are out of your price range

HOWEVER, Event just came out with the TR8-N. they are based on the same design as the original 20/20bas.

the TR8-N's are powered and they are at Musicians friends.com for $499.00 a pair ($U.S.) (that means you can find them cheaper somewhere else)

good luck
Old 11-04-2002, 09:12 AM

yorkville YSM-1

you won't be dissapointed. They run about 400 dollors for a pair of powered ones.

good luck
Old 11-04-2002, 04:00 PM

I MUST second the opinion on the Alesis M1mk2 Actives, they cost me $399/pair (us) and I have to say I like them more than my Mackies. Not to bash the latter, they were great, but I find my mixes translate really well on the Alesis, as the bass response isn't so exagerated like on the 824's.

As for Behringer, I'm never buying that crap again, ever. I gave them a chance with a mixer which worked fine for a while, and now it's showing serious signs of Behringeritus.

Go with the Alesis. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2002, 06:41 PM

Gentleman with all due respect.
I am a Post production engineer and I have been using Genelecs for years. When I went looking for monitors for my studio at my house I must have seen it all. KRK V6 & V8, Mackies 624 & 824
Event 20 /20's, Dynaudio, Tannoy, Beringer and Genelec. well I gotta tel you that there are more monitors out there than you can shake a stick at. But let me let you in on a little secret. ready....Blue Sky 2.1 $1100 and these puppies are so sweet they'll make you cry. every bit as good as my genee's but awsome sounding. Great definition and seperation very very smooth. after purchasing them I learned that George Lucus bought 47 sets for skywalker ranch now that's something to brag about. seriously if you havn't heard these don't buy anything till you hear them.
Good luck
N-G-NEER
Old 11-07-2002, 08:41 PM

hiya fu,

I read a shootout a while back which compared Little Tannoys (can't remeber which), K-Roks, Yamaha ? (the NS10 replacement) & the Yorkvilles that eldwin mentioned.

The Yorkvilles although way cheaper than the others were voted the best all round ... catagories included imaging, bass response, neutrality etc.

If you're in Melbourne, Factory Sound has them in their catalogue for $1299

Could be worth checking out.

Oz
Old 11-07-2002, 08:49 PM

... Factory Sound also have the Haffler TRM6's (also self powered) at $1196. I'd go for something like this b4 Behringer any day.

If you can, try & listen to them all at the same place with the same reference material ... in the end you have to let your ears decide.

Oz

btw: I don't work 4 factory sound ... I just happen to have the catalogue lying around.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the advice...it helps to hear from people with first hand experience with certain monitors. i'm looking much deeper into this now.

I appreciate it.