How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 AM

Default Pro Toos can't find Source Connect plug-in

Hi all,
I'm trying to setup a ProTools 12 session for remote recording with Souce Connect Pro 3.9.1, but ProTools can't find the source-connect link AAX plug-in.

Source Connect runs fine as stand alone and I'm wondering, where ProTools stores installed plug-ins such as this one. Thanks for any help and hints,

Thomas
Old 11-23-2018, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Toos can't find Source Connect plug-in

You can Google the answer to that... /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

What exactly is happening? What exact errors do you get? The plugin just not showing up in the insert pull down? “Can’t find” might mean different things to different people.

Is the .aaxplugin file in that directory?

Do you see it load when Pro Tools starts?

Did you try trashing prefs?

Did you follow install documentation?

What OSX/MacOS version are you on?
Old 11-23-2018, 02:54 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm on OSX 10.11.6 and Pro Tools 12.4

Yes, I did trash the prefs, made sure the .asxplugin file is in the directory you mentioned but I can't see it load when Pro Tools starts. It looks to me as if Pro Tools is looking at a different location on my harddisk for plugins because I noticed other plugins missing as well (and they are in the /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/PlugIns folder, too.)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM

There is only one location for Plugins and that is the directory I gave you.

Are the .aaxplugin files for those other plugins there?

Source Connect has AAX64 plugins and all you should need to do is run the installer.

Other plugins are missing as well? Meaning they are not showing up in the insert menu? What plugins? Where exactly are you looking... please say exactly what plugins and menu locations you are looking at. It may be easier to debug with another more commonly used plugin that is missing.

A leading reason for folks here claiming plugins are missing is looking in the wrong multi-channel/multi-mono submenu on stereo tracks etc. Source Connect is what a multichannel plugin? Are you looking in the right menu?

If that is not it you either have a corrupt plugin database, if so fully trash prefs (be sure to follow instructions for your version of Pro Tools/OS or just use Peter Gates' utility)

And if that is not it you may have some AAX32 only plugins in the plugin folder (but should not if you installed new plugins using their installer) although I would hope Pro Tools should complain about those at startup.

Find a plugin that is really not showing up in the correct insert menu. Then run the file command to look inside that plugin bundle. Like this in Terminal...

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/
$ file VariFi.aaxplugin/Contents/macOS/VariFi
VariFi.aaxplugin/Contents/macOS/VariFi: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386:Mach-O bundle i386] [x86_64]
VariFi.aaxplugin/Contents/macOS/VariFi (for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386
VariFi.aaxplugin/Contents/macOS/VariFi (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

That's telling me VariFi is a combo AAX-32 (i386) and AAX-64 (x86_64) plugin. If you only see i386 that plugin won't work with Pro Tools 11 or later.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.