Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10.0.1 isnt stable

OK upgraded to Lion 10.7 and its crashed every time. It crashed when I 1st launched it. I reinstalled the 002r drivers and the midi drivers then it (finally) launched. While it was launching, it stayed on "Setting up MIDI" for about 2 mins. I thought everything was ok when I opened a average session (about 30 or so tracks with plugins and busses). It seemed to work fine (At first) but crashed all the way to the desktop after normal usage. When I launched it again, it seems to hang on the Setting Up MIDI section.

Is anyone having this much trouble? I'm spending 100% of the time being "tech guy" instead or "creative guy"
Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Try this if you will.

- Go to the plugins folder.
- select all third party plugins and label them (orange for instance)
- select all Avid plugins and label them purple
- set the file sorting to label and you'll see a division between the plugins
- now to begin with drag the 3rd party plugins to the unused plugins folder
- test your session. It will have many plugins inactive but that's okay for now
- if the session still crashes, we know it's not a third party plugin and you have to look elsewhere
- if it doesn't crash anymore you might have a faulty/old plugin that needs updating.

Best way to check your third party plugins is to use the binary search method.
It's tedious but it will let you find a faulty plugin if there is one.
- drag the upperhalf of the orange 3rd party plugs back into the plugins folder
- does it crash? If so you can check whether there's more than one plugin crashing your system by taking out the first half and putting in the second half.
- if that doesn't crash your system you know there's a faulty plugin in the first half. You could label the second half green to state that they are good but put them back in the unused plugins folder for now.
- drag half of the orange plugins (the first half that caused the crash) back into the plugins folder.
- does your session still crash?
- just keep on dividing the remainder plugins in half and test your session.
- you will finally find the plugin that is crashing your system.
- if two halfs crash you know there's two plugins that give you problems.
- just keep on dividing each half in two until you find the faulty plugins.

This will definitely help if a faulty plugin is the cause of your crashes. I had to resort to this method when I upgraded pro tools to 10.0.1. I couldn't even play one second of my session before it gave me a buffer size error like -6104 and -6101. Even worse, an empty session with one empty track would crash with these errors.

I found out that the Sonnox EQ plugin was version 2.7.1 and they had silently released version 2.7.2 only a short while before I updated PT to 10.0.1. Updating just this one plugin fixed my issue.

It's therefore very wise to have the discipline of checking all your plugin versions before upgrading. I do wish this was a bit easier but as long as the 'Check for update' function doesn't check your third party plugins we'll have to do it this way. If only third party developers would let us know via a simple e-mail when they release an update to one of their plugins. That would save us so much time. I own a lot of lugins from many different developers and hardly any developer sends out update information. What's up with that??!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 AM

By the way!

If your session still crashes without 3rd party plugins it might also be that one of the Avid plugins is not updated correctly. Make sure you check those if the session crashes without 3rd party plugins.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Make sure your processors for RTAS are set to an ODD amount? 1/3/5/7 etc.
Never heard of that one, how is that effect it vs an even number? Just curious...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM

10.0.1 HD in mix mode Crashing* (*Spinning Wheel past an hour Force Quit needed type) quite often. Run all diagnostics and found I'm crash free for a day or so after purging free memory via cocktail and relaunching Pro Tools.
Not that memory is the culprit It's the only item I found so fare that seemed to affect PT's behavior.
No Virtual and EA on or off is about the same., Disk Cache at 70% green and Timeline at 100 % green, 5,7,11,15 cores tried, current voice allocation 100/128 with 2 of 3 accel cards mostly full, Audio work drive 45% full 10.7.2 and 10.7.3 tried.
CPU @ 80% Native gass between 35-65%, No CPU clips from PT's System usage.

Not much has changed from 10-10.0.1

Just a FYI post.

Back to my BU-V10
I'm spinning my time wheels as much as Pro Tools trips the Mac's spinning wheel.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm on PC (Win 7 @ 64 bit) and I found that PT10 was instable, and with the 10.0.1 update it seems even worse. Lately I've been doing all tracking with Reaper (both Mac & PC) just to be safe and I've only been mixing & editing in PT, trying that is...

Just about ready to jump ship.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM

I can understand the frustration but PT 10.0.1 is very stable, .... In fact so is 9 but what I see here, with all due respect, is not really understanding how to configure the system properly.

It's important to know how to set up your session, do you really need32 bit? Playback engine, why so high? .. Etc, etc, to be honest beyond the scope of a post ... Just ramping everything up will cause issues.... Fine tuning, knowing exactly what your doing, will result in a stable satisfying experience ... Invest some time and energy in training and understanding the DAW and 99% of your problems will disappear.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
Never heard of that one, how is that effect it vs an even number? Just curious...
It it a well-known trick. It gives the "background" tasks more processing resource. So it doesn't mean that Pro Tools will ignore that core, it is more like reserving some processing power for different tasks. It doesn't always work though, I had machines where it made the whole situations worse, so you need to test it.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

OK an update to my instability (Post above).
I should have known this but after updating Reason 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 I did not do the standalone launch which has to do with rewire.
Even though the app itself was checked for 32 bit operation.

I am now back to working stable with 10.0.1 OS 10.7.3
Playback engine 17 cores, 512 buffer, 6Gb cache
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 AM

It's not about odd vs even, its more about keeping a processor (at least) free for system, HDD protocols and access paths. I have always had more crashes and issues when I have tried to use ALL my processors for Pro Tools. On my QUAD core I dropped down to 3 for PT and 1 for system and it worked a perfectly.
On the 8 Core I used 7 for tools and 1 for the system.
On my 12 Core I use 10 for PT and 2 for the system (tried using all 12 for [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s and giggles but PT crashed out and kept bringing up CPU errors.

On a side note, even though PT10 is stable, it has some SERIOUS coding errors that need addressing. The biggest is ADC not working properly. Any professional mixer cannot use PT in it's current state which is ridiculous.
LION also is failing hard with it's new ACL security structure and permissions errors meaning that every time you restart your machine you have to re-enter serial numbers etc (and lets just say I have a LOT of plug ins that use this auth style)