Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Default input monitoring level and record level different

Howdy. Weird issue here. I'm running 9.0.2 (LE) with a 003 on a macbook with 10.6.7. I installed all the new 003 drivers and such. The issue I'm having is the recorded level is much louder than the input monitor level. The meters are reacting like normal. When I'm punching in on a track the sound is very low, I punch out and the sound is much louder. When I listen back everything sounds perfect. So it's recording the material just fine. The sound coming out is different depending on if I'm just in input or if it is previously recorded material. I'm a long time PT user and never experienced this before so I'm assuming it's some weird glitch thing. I just recently took the leap and installed 9 on this system and everything else is performing flawlessly. I've relaunched PT and tried different sessions. I'm gonna trash prefs and such next but just wanted to throw this question out there to see if this is a rare event and that I'm not missing something.

Thanks
Jason
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM

Default Re: input monitoring level and record level different

Sounds like you may have your record level lower than your playback level. If you go into preferences (don't remember which page) there is a checkbox for "link record and playback faders." If you notice that your fader drops when you record enable a track then this is what's going on.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM

That was one of the first things I thought of too. I've got them linked with same results. Any other ideas?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM

How are you monitoring the punch in?

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM

If I'm working on a vocal track for instance. I've got the track record enabled, listen to pre-recorded material and punch in. When I punch in the level is much lower. I also sometimes hit optionK so the singer can hear himself/ herself before the actual punch and the level difference also appears in this scenario. I then playback the section and there is no level discrepancy between the prerecorded material and the newly punched material (although because this level difference is also heard by the artist, he sometimes has been singing louder trying to over compensate.) All monitoring is in the box, no weird monitoring set up. It's probably a bug and I'm gonna try the trash prefs thing when I get back to my studio and see if it clears up.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Yeah, this is very odd. I would definitely trash prefs.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Hi,

I just ran into this same problem. I have my Pro Tools 9 hooked up to a PreSonus firepod FP10. Everything records just fine, but I can't monitor anything that is record-enabled. Not an issue for live demo recording, but for everything else...

Did you ever find a resolve to this?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Hi - i'm having the same issue as described, came out of nowhere. Happening in both ProTools 10 & 11. Whilst punching or recording the level is MUCH lower than playback.

Tried in multiple sessions and scenarios over the last hour or so (including no plugins, one audio track going directly to output), tried trashing preferences, made sure "link record and play faders" in pref was checked.. Out of ideas!!!

If anyone has any ideas please shoot them through - very frustrating scenario! I can route certain things through the desk for monitoring... but the way the studio i work in is setup, it's much more limiting that being able to monitor directly from PT.

Whilst monitoring the record-enabled track, it doesn't seem to just drop in volume - but also seems kind of phasey and weird.. not super obvious (my mind may be playing tricks on me, but i don't think so). I've tried moving buffer all the way down to 64 and it doesn't help.

Thanks in advance!

Best - Andy.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 AM

bump... anyone? still having this problem :/

thanks - Andy.