Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Default ProTools 10 on MacBook Air

Any chance this would work for small track counts... mainly editing. Anyone using a setup on an Air?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10 on MacBook Air

You should be able to do quite a bit on the Air. For best results, you should still have your audio on an external hard drive. You can use a firewire drive and just get the Apple $29 Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM

The MacBook Air should be plenty for you. I do agree with nst7 that you should look into an external hard drive to record to. As far as I know Avid does not support SSD which the Air has. The SSD will work as your main drive but you might see issues with it as a recording drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 15" MacBook Pro With Retina Display
2.6 GHz i7 (Turboboost to 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SDD
3 TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD.
500 GB Western Digital External Firewire HDD
Running:
Pro Tools 11.0.3
Old 09-01-2012, 02:55 PM

So with a late 2008 AIR.. I have no thunderbolt.... and only the one usb port. SOL?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearfilm View Post
So with a late 2008 AIR.. I have no thunderbolt.... and only the one usb port. SOL?
Pretty much, it's far from a recommended configuration and not where you really want to be.

Now I know somebody is goign to say they have an old air running Pro Tools and working fine recording to the system or an external USB drive, but if you are really lucky you can get Pro Tools running on a pair of smelly old socks, but the socks (or Air) are likely to be flaky and/or just not perform well.

Darryl
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Not sure why people would recommend using an external drive with the air, when the internal SSD is capable of 200+ megs a second. As long as lots of other things aren't also running, it will be fine.

I had PT10 installed on my Core 2 Duo air, and was able to run a very intense demo session with 64+ tracks, instruments, a bunch of plugins, etc, right from the internal SSD, and it didn't hiccup once.

And the newest SSDs in the airs are even faster.

If you really want to go external, get an SSD in a thunderbolt case, there are a few popping up now. That will give you a ridiculously fast external drive.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Not sure why people would recommend using an external drive with the air, when the internal SSD is capable of 200+ megs a second. As long as lots of other things aren't also running, it will be fine.
Modern Flash SSDs are incredible devices (and PCIe flash cards even more so) but they are relatively complex beasts, with asymmetrical read/write performance, on-the-fly compression, complex garbage collection (e.g. GC can might cause spikes of IO performance degradation at times), etc. All highly depended on the Flash chips, controller chipset, device driver, current and past read/write/IO patterns, etc. If a single SSD disk is working great for you with your workload that is great, and the more folks here who can help on DUC by describing what they are able to do with exactly SSD disks and type of workload the better. But there are certainly technical reasons not to just assume a single system+audio or system+audio+sample SSD is a safe choice for everybody's IO requirements.

Darryl