Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Default PT8 - I can't believe my ears

OK, I acknowledge that maybe I'm crazy... but I upgraded my PT7.4 to PT8 yesterday - we were having new carpeting put in our control room and the console had to be removed, so I figured the downtime would be a good time to make the upgrade. My engineer re-wired the console last night with all the same audio and interconnect cables (we have Apogee Rosetta 800 and Aurora 16 converters) - when I got in this morning, I fired up a tune, and I couldn't believe my ears. The sound was unbelievably better in every way... tighter bass, better imaging, more detail, higher highs, lower lows, a far better stereo spread. I would have just assumed that I had far too much wine last night... except my engineer had the same experience. We could both hear an incredible difference within the first few notes - every track... every instrument... sounds way better! It was like upgrading from a Mackie to a Neve...

At first I thought there must have been some powerful corrosion in the board's inputs that we somehow cleared by unplugging and re-plugging all the cables, but that seemed just too far fetched... Could it be that someone sprinkled magic studio dust on my console overnight or is it possible to get this kind of aural improvement with a software upgrade???

Has anyone else noticed this... or was it the wine?

Alec
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Re: PT8 - I can't believe my ears

Perhaps the carpet that you replaced has a better acoustic property than the previous one?

You mentioned higher highs which makes me think maybe your room needed a bit of EQ around that area and the new carpet has provided the perfect absorption/reflection within that area?

I am not an acoustician, maybe I am wrong, maybe the Digi guys really have made improvements to the engine and if so great, but my first thoughts are the carpet is better suited to the needs of your sounds for that record etc?

Try a record that you mixed when the old carpet was new, if it's the same make/model carpet, and if it sounds great then maybe it's just you need to replace your carpet more often?

Kind regards, either way your a winner, Baris
Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM

well, it did occur to me that the carpet might have made a difference... but if a carpet can make that big a difference, it should be marketed as a revolutionary studio accessory. Still, anything's possible, I guess.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Do you have a sub? Cause if you sub is now on a carpet that may have affect your sound as well. If your sub was creating sympathetic frequencies from the dimensions of your room, that could have been mudding your mixes a bit...

But it shouldn't be that drastic from just a carpet change.

Who knows, maybe you just needed some freshening in your room.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Also if you have removed you console, that can make a big difference. Consoles are big pieces are reflective material right in front of your face.
Best,
Brandon
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Yes, we do have a sub so that may be a factor - but I'm also noticing a big difference monitoring through headphones with the speakers off. I know this doesn't seem to make sense... if my engineer hadn't had exactly the same reaction, I would have assumed I've lost it, man!

Alec
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Digi changed ADC in pt8 a little. Now it works with sends as well as channels. Maybe that is what you are hearing. Are you using ADC?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Smile Re: PT8 - I can't believe my ears

I would like to thank everyone who offered suggestions... I think you all have valid points and I think the carpet and moving the sub did help the sound. But after a lot of head-scratching and A-B'ing and debate, I think something has happened in PT8 that perhaps affects the way I work more than it would affect many of you who work entirely in the digital domain. We have an HD2 system with Rosetta 800 and Aurora 16, and are monitoring through our analog console - a Soundtracs MR series which is quite warm and pleasing, given the price-point - meaning it's all about the analog outs. I have read somewhere else about a "rumor" that Digi has made some changes to the stereo mixer plug-in:

... its not your all in your head..THere is a rumor they fixed a
flaw of somthing going on in their stereo mixer plug in. Somthing about it
had a flaw in making the stereo image less wide than it should have been
causing arual problems.... So now the have fixed it to sound more like thier
SURROUND DITHERED mixer plug in. Panning is much wider...

I don't give much credence to rumors, but in my previous setup,
we had all kinds of problems with stereo imaging on various stereo tracks... and
I had assumed it was a problem with the c
onsole - but after installing PT8,
stereo pairs are once again balanced - and the overall sound is far more
detailed and accurate...

Maybe there was something in my previous preferences that messed up
the sound. I don't know what it is. But I do know that I'm very happy that I have new
carpets, a moved sub, and PT8!

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Alec

Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Digi has stated, in the TDM for Mac forum, that they have made no changes to the mixer plugin.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 AM

Room acoustics are deemed to be the weakest link in audio chains. Then followed by the loudspeaker quality. In other words: Check and improve your room, then upgrade to better speakers, then upgrade to a better D/A interface and so on... not the other way round