Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Any Word on PT 7.3 Yet?!?

The sneak peak is supposed to be today.

Oh please... let this be finally be the one for us midi people. Let this one have the total redesign of midi editing.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Any Word on PT 7.3 Yet?!?

Hear hear! I'm sick of the fiddly midi in PT..Ableton Live is so much better..
Can we have a Sampler please too?!
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 PM

I'm kinda surprised that there isn't any word of it yet. Anyone attend AES or DigiWorld and see a demo?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 PM

Hello. Well here's the NEW part as far as Digidesign. 7.3. A nice guy let me peruse through their internal 'What's New in 7.3' document. As far as HD goes, there's a couple of interesting things. A new RTAS engine which will NOT stop playback or record when a buffer error occurs, a secondary Timecode timeline, a 'micro' size audio track (smaller than mini), continously resizable audio tracks (the user sets the size by dragging up and down), support for the Sync HD interface, new Zoom Toggle defaults and capabilities, Window Configuration memory settings similar to the Markers window but dealing with the Mix and Edit windows, a default Click track, looping capabilities without stopping playback, a Loop Trimmer tool, creating and copying sends, auxes, plug ins dragging and copying, etc ALL WITHOUT stopping playback, Export MIDI improvements, Export to Sibelius command.

I think that's about it for 7.3, maybe a couple of things I don't recall at the moment. Sync HD is scheduled for some time before the end of the year, but will probably not include Tri Level sync; that will be added by a firmware update later on next year. 7.3 will probably be for sometime in mid to late November. It may require an upgrade path for 7.2 owners, probably not though.

LE 7.3 will also come along and sort of catch up. However no multiple video tracks for LE, or simple video editing, or VCA tracks, or Volume Trim automation timeline on the Edit window. As far as I could tell a lot of the really fantastic part of 7.2 for TDM did not make it to LE 7.3. Bummer.

Nothing written in stone, all subject to change, etc, etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:47 AM

Quote:
A new RTAS engine which will NOT stop playback or record when a buffer error occurs.
Well I suppose that's good...
Quote:
a secondary Timecode timeline
Personally, I don't care about this...
Quote:
a 'micro' size audio track (smaller than mini),
So far, I'm underwhelmed to say the least...
Quote:
continously resizable audio tracks (the user sets the size by dragging up and down)
Like Logic? Well, I like this. Midi tracks too, I hope...
Quote:
support for the Sync HD interface
Well, OK then. Kind of obvious this would be in there.
Quote:
new Zoom Toggle defaults and capabilities
I'd be happy If they put it back how it was in version 6. Currently Version 7.x Zoom toggle is a huge PITA.
Quote:
Window Configuration memory settings similar to the Markers window but dealing with the Mix and Edit windows
Now this WILL be great!
Quote:
a default Click track
OK, but it's not hard to set up a click instrument in your default 'writing' session...
Quote:
looping capabilities without stopping playback, a Loop Trimmer tool
Great.
Quote:
creating and copying sends, auxes, plug ins dragging and copying, etc ALL WITHOUT stopping playback
Hallelujah! Well that's a big one!
Quote:
Export MIDI improvements, Export to Sibelius command.
Meh...Well Sibelius imports midi files anyway?!?! I wonder if we will ever get a score editor built in to PT?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 AM

Hello. As far as the Zoom Toggle functionality I am not sure if they reverted back to the old way. I read the document more than I was able to muck around with the software, so I am not sure exactly what that involved. Also this specific feature I sort of skimmed over quickly while I was reading so I did not pay attention to what it actually entailed I am sorry to say. Another thing I forgot to mention which may or may not be useful is that you can set a preference whereby when you create a new session or create tracks on other sessions the tracks will automatically default to Tick based tracks. I suppose that could be helpful to Loop and MIDI only sessions, but I don't really see that it's that useful a feature. When you create new tracks on a session you have the option of making any one of them Tick based, so I don't see the need for this. You can also make a Template of Tick based tracks if that's what you need. It's there though for whoever may want it.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:06 AM

The person I spoke with mentioned "fixing what we messed up", so that sounds like going back to a 6.x implementation for Zoom Toggle.

Erik
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Well, I've gotten used to the new zoom toggle behavior and I mostly like it, so I hope they don't "fix" it too much.

Secondary timeline is awesome. That's something some of us post people have been begging them to implement since the late 90s.

And I'm stoked about dragging/copying auxes and plugs on the fly. That's good stuff.

It sounds like it should be free for 7.2 owners -- the only thing that I'd pay for is the secondary timeline, and it sounds like I'm in the majority.

As for LE, I'm not at all surprised that it's missing some of the good bits of TDM 7.2 -- that's why it's called LE after all -- I just hope that when you take a TDM session to and from an LE rig you don't loose the VCA tracks completely (which is what happens now), and if we're really, really lucky the edited video track will playback in LE even if you can't edit it further.