Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 AM

Default ProTools HD Hardware won't function in PT9

Ok I know I'm a bit late to the game moving to PT9 (had to keep working and productive and my PT 8 was rock solid) but now I've got some NAMM work to do that requires 9.0. I've spent a few hours searching older posts and while I've seen a few people with similar issues awhile back, I haven't been able to find any actual resolutions.

After installing clean OS (both 10.6 and 10.7) installing PT 9.0.1 then updating to 9.0.5 - ProTools doesn't give me any options other than aggregate despite the fact that I have a 192, 96 and a 96i connected.

hardware set up does show "Digidesign Hardware (HD) PCI - 0 inputs, 0 outputs" but it is greyed out and I cannot make any changes. Playback engine doesn't give me any HD options other than line in and outs and aggregate.

I have tried new installs with and without the HW drivers on the download pages. Installing drivers first installing drivers after PT installation etc.

I can open Ableton Live 8 and it recognizes that I have a 192 attached and gives me 8 in 8 out I/O and plays back audio fine on the 192. I can boot into my old 10.5.8 partition and playback PT 8x without issue so I don't think it's a connectivity problem with the Digi HW.

I've tried holding down the N Key to choose HW and I still don't get any options other than Aggregate or Line I/O.

I am currently downloading PT9.0.6 but I honestly don't feel like that is going to be the magic bullet.

I've spent the past 2 days installing and reinstalling OS and PT without any success and my deadlines are fast approaching. Am I missing something? Can someone please shed a light for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Re: ProTools HD Hardware won't function in PT9

Update:

I reinstalled my Ilok software. and low and behold I suddenly saw 8 inputs and outputs available when clicking on the Digi HD device icon in Audio set up..

Sadly, when I tried to move the input level, the screen instantly disappeared as did the Digi HD hardware icon.

Upon restarting PT I am back to the greyed out Digi HW icon and no options other than Line I/O and aggregate.

Another subtle change is my aggregate is now showing 6x4 I/O instead of the 2x2 it showed previously. Arrrrgh!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

I feel your pain. I'm trying to install my Mbox Pro with OSX and every time I turn it on, my mac shuts down.

Unless I'm way off base, my guess is I'll need to upgrade to PT10 before things work out. I can't find any way around it.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 AM

One thing that annoys me is that I have PT9 on my PC and the Mbox works just fine.

So, I got this huge setup with my brand new mac, had to get the "beta" version of PT9 and now I have to use my old PC to use the Mbox and the studio monitors I just bought.

/vent.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM

I understand we're in a bold new world of an "open" platform. But I would agree that it is especially frustrating that my Avid products don't appear to work. I would certainly be more understanding if I was trying to use some random, esoteric device manufactured in Bulgaria... But my Avid 192 is not recognized!

About to try aggregate mode with the Allen & heath GS-R24 and see if I can at least get that to work, so I can work...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Update to my update: Thought I had a "how can I be so dumb and this will be an easy fix moment"!

Checking my Ilok account, I saw that I had only downloaded my PT9 auth and not the PT9HD! Well that would explain why I couldn't see my HD devices, right?

Wrong, after downloading the 9HD auth to my ilok and restarting PT, it is the same old same old. No option to use Digi HW.

Back to the drawing board... Anyone have any ideas? please I'm dying here!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Update to my updated update:

Ok, so I am mostly an idiot (my wife would agree)...
After re-installing 9.0.6 and re-installing Ilok drivers... I still couldn't select my HD interfaces... Until I noticed that the drop down menu in the playback engine settings was also a Drop UP menu... The HD TDM was hidden on top of the other I/O selections...

So it still took a few random re-starts with interfaces off and then on and a new 9.0.6 install - but for the most part my issues were with not having the proper authorization installed and then missing a drop down menu item.

All appear to be working for the time being... Now to the onerous task of updating and re-installing all my plug in's... have mercy...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Kudos to you for figuring it out. A drop UP menu, huh? What will they think of next?

For those of you still reading this thread, is there a way for my Mbox to work with OSX 10.7.2 using PT9?

It seems counterintuitive that I have to switch between computers to work on a project. All video editing on my mac .. recording through Mbox on my PC .. then to combine everything on my Mac with PT and Media Composer.

But .. whatever works, I guess. As long as I can meet my deadline. *shrugs*

Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Unhappy Re: ProTools HD Hardware won't function in PT9

I am having the exact same problems since updating from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6. I have installed the recommended HD driver after the update as they say to do. I have been out of business for a couple days - very disappointed.

It seems to me that the installers are not doing their jobs properly though the Restart dialogs indicate everything went great. My first suspicion of this was that I had to manually drag Digi MIDI driver files from my User Library to my Boot Library after a clean install of 905 to get the startup past the 'Setting Up Midi' dialog.

Then, the 906 updater broke my HD Hardware connection. I have not been able to fix it. I've installed the very latest HD Driver several times, cleaned prefs, etc, etc. Only Aggregate and computer input and output show as available hardware. The exact same screen you describe.

There is absolutely no mention of solutions on Avid's 'support' site. What does an Avid Pro Tools customer have to do to make a living?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Hello same problem here!

I just bought a used HD2 PCIe system, I've downloaded the trial version of pt10hd but it doesn't recognize my 192 (even when I press N it won't appear).
I have a new Mac Pro (10.7.3) and I want to use the new pro tools (the HD2 came with PT7) will I need to buy the PT10HD (I only need PT10 96 tracks is enough for what I do).
Help Please!!
nuxo