Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Echo a single a word

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question or not, so I apologize ahead of time if it isn't.

I've been working on a tune on my 002 and decided to try something with a particular part of the vocal where I would like to repeat the last word in the verse before it leads into the chorus. The best example of the effect I'm looking to achieve is from the Pink Floyd song, "Nobody Home" from The Wall where Roger Waters sings, "but I've got nowhere to fly to...fly to...fly to...fly to."

I'm looking to get that same effect but the delay doesn't seem to be long enough. I've got it to repeat the word but it does it too quickly (not enough space between the word repeating)It ends up sounding more like (flytoflytoflytoflytoflyto) Ideally, if I could remove every other one it would be perfect but I just can't seem to get there. I've tried to increase the millisecond delay but I've got it maxed out and it's still not enough.

I know I could "cheat" and cut and paste the word for the desired effect, but to me that seems like defeating the purpose of using Pro-Tools and the plug-ins it offers. I shouldn't have to do that. Or am I wrong?

At any rate, if someone could give me some advice or a tip on how to do this that would be great. I suppose I could always do without it since the tune is complete but I thought this would spice up that vocal phrase a little bit.

Thank you to anyone who responds.
Frank
Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Echo a single a word

Quote:
I know I could "cheat" and cut and paste the word for the desired effect, but to me that seems like defeating the purpose of using Pro-Tools and the plug-ins it offers. I shouldn't have to do that. Or am I wrong?
Actually, this would be the easiest and most effective (pardon the pun) way to acheive what you are trying to do.

The other way would be to use a longer delay. The stock delay in Pro Tools has 5 separate delay plugins, and is covered in the DigiRack Plugins Guide starting on page 68:
Quote:

The Short Delay provides 43 ms of delay at all
sample rates.
• The Slap Delay provides 171 ms of delay at all
sample rates.
Short Delay and Slap Delay do not have
Tempo, Meter, Duration, and Groove controls.

• The Medium Delay provides 341 ms of delay
at all sample rates.
• The Long Delay provides 683 ms of delay at
all sample rates.
• The Extra Long Delay provides 2.73 seconds
of delay at all sample rates
With medium, long and extra long, you can sync the delay to a particular note value at the session tempo, which is probably what you're looking for.

We had a Discussion in the Tips and Tricks Section recently that might help you.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 AM

Thanks for responding. Maybe that's what I'll end up doing. I've tried to use the extra long delay but it's still not quite right. Looking on the bright side, it'll give me an opportunity to practice editing.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 AM

Once upon a time, huh? Well, you're a good dog, I'll throw you a boney.

The Extra Long Delay goes to over 2.7 seconds. That's long enough for a quarter-note delay with tempos as low as 22 bpm! But if you really do need a longer delay than Extra Long, just chain them. Make two Aux tracks, put an Extra Long Delay on each, and send the first to the second. Chain a dozen of them, go get a cup of coffee, and hear the echo when you get back.

And, yes, sometimes you have to do stuff manually even in Pro Tools. No shame in doing whatever it takes to get the musical magic to happen.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 AM

Oh, I see. Maybe I just haven't explored the extra long delay enough. I thought I had. I'm sure that 2.7 seconds will get me where I'm going. And yes, I agree, there is nothing wrong with doing things manually.

Didn't quite understand the "Once Upon a Time" reference.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Try this...do an aux bus send (like bus :stereo 1-2") and change your edit view to "Pan Level" and draw in the send level on the words you want to echo. Then open up a stereo aux track with the input set to the same bus as your send (like bus "stereo 1-2")and insert a delay. Then play with the delay times and the feedback amounts until you get the desired effect. The cool thing is, if you use a stereo delay you can have your echo bounce around from left to right.