Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 AM

Default "Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value" error with MadiXtreme

Hi,

I recently recorded a session at a studio at 96Khz, but have run into a problem when trying to open it on my own system. I get the error message "Could not complete the Open Session command because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value"

Until this point I've only ever worked at 44.1, and didn't have any problems. Now I can't open or create any sessions, regardless of sample rate.

I'm running Pro Tools 9.0.6, on Windows 7, MadiXtreme (build 19, 1 MADI), SSL Alphalink

Having googled the error message there seems to be plenty of people who have encountered this error, but none of the solutions work for me, and none of them were with the MadiXtreme anyway.

I've tried lots of things, thrashing Pref/Database, disabling Windows sound, disabling all other audio device on board motherboard, nothing helps.

I was able to open the session through Asio4All, so maybe that's a clue as to what is wrong. Another thing that might be helpful, in Playback Devices, when I right-click SSL Soundscape and press "Test" it says "The device is being used by another application", though everything is closed.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 AM

Default Re: "Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value" error with MadiXtreme

Hey, i ve experienced the same problem with madixtreme 64,
only difference here im on PT 10.
Well the solution that worked for me was:
(meaning to be able to open my 44.1k sessions again) no success yet on opening a 96k session
once i tried to open a 96k session, and got the sample rate error msg, i closed PT
went back and open track.exe(run as admin always)
i manually set my sample rate at 96k click apply
then open again PT,(with out loading any session),
once PT is open then load a 44.1k session
sample rate error message again, close PT,
open track.exe set to 44.1k and open PT again,
Thats it!
Hope this helps!
RME Fireface UFX
24 GB DDR3
Win7 x64 Ult. (Sp1)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Default Re: "Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value" error with MadiXtreme

K with pretty much the same way i finally made it to open a 96k session!
SSL driver is ROCK SOLID @ 96k too!
That being:
try to open a 96k session on PT, get sample rate error message, close PT,
open Track.exe set manually to 96k, reopen PT and a 96k session, there u go
All these with madixtreme on master internal
NOW a strange thing happens @ 96k the alpha link doesnt follow the madixtreme card(sample rate wise)
At least alpha link mx which i own, just turns previously selected sample rate value red on unit
while on Track.exe properties sais its locked, its not really...
now from that state PT still opens the 96k session but if one is using the ip's for... say external instrument/fx
will soon find out that the first 2 ip's have become mono L ch only and mutes every other ip up to 16,
(while one can see audio at the alpha link meter segments no sound on PT for ip's 3-16 or 2-16)
Of course that all changes and you get all ip's working again,when you manually set the alpha link interface on 48k x2
sample rate led also turns green again.
RME Fireface UFX
24 GB DDR3
Win7 x64 Ult. (Sp1)