Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 PM

Default Needing a more analog "template" style workflow. Need advice from the PT sages...

This isn't something I have call for all the time, but comes up occasionally, so I figured it's time to bite the bullet and ask for help. ;-)

I'm doing some mixes that want a really similar overall sound from one track to the next and were recorded in succession. Practically the same settings. Obviously rides will be different and vocals will get different treatment or effects, but the body (drums, bass, guitar, BV's, etc.) they want to be really close.

In the day this was super simple, because everything just played back from the recorder through the console and outboard, so you just wouldn't zero-out the gear between mixes.

I've played with templates in PT a bit, but still find myself spending an hour getting a song loaded into a template. This should be a breeze (5 minutes, not an hour), but *my* mind either really fights it, or it's just unintuitive for everyone.

What's the best practice here for dealing with templates? When matching tracks?

>>Biggest issues are settings from the imported tracks replacing the existing/template settings (volume, and such). No idea why Volume Automation and Settings is one check box instead of having an Initial Volume setting checkbox. Same with Pan and Mute.

>>Ideally I want the new tracks to be at the session template settings, but to cover up any automation in the template (especially that may have been missed when creating the template directly from the previous mix session).

I'm fighting it. Can't seem to embrace it.

If this is more appropriate in the Tips and Tricks forum, please move.

Thanks!