Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Simple Midi Question

I'm sure this will be a "DUH!" moment, but I can't seem to connect my MIDI keyboard to make my Mini Grand play inside Pro Tools LE 8.0.3.

My old Ensoniq keyboard's MIDI out is connected to my 002 Rack's midi in. It should be sending out MIDI data (I don't know how to check, but it's config'ed to do it).

I created a MIDI track. I connected its input to my 002's midi input (I tried both "all channels" and "channel-1"). I set its output to "Mini Grand 1 - channel-1"

I've created an Instrument Track, and inserted the Min Grand at the top. It appears, and when I click on the virtual keys with the mouse I can hear them, so it's output is fine. Its inputs are set to "no input", which I assume is correct (particularly since all the other input choices are analog signals, not MIDI). So far so good.

But when I press keys on my real keyboard, I don't see or hear anything from the mini grand. I've tried record-enabling both tracks, but it only lets me record enable one or the other (what's up with that?). Neither seems to work. When I press keys I also don't see any movement on the MIDI channel's VU meter - does that point to my keyboard not sending midi?

Any help/ideas appreciated!

-Fred
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Simple Midi Question

Is MIDI Thru checked? Is the device enabled in Device Input? Is the Instrument track Instrument View enabled and does the MIDI Input read 'All'? Have you turned the power on for the MIDI Controller.

filosofem
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Is MIDI Thru checked?
MIDI Thru is checked in ProTools.

Quote:
Is the device enabled in Device Input?
??? Where do I find that?

I'm sure this is in the 8.0 user manual, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the Digidesign web site.

Quote:
Is the Instrument track Instrument View enabled
??? I really should find the manual. This was all so easy around PT5 (the last time I did any MIDI in PT)...

Quote:
and does the MIDI Input read 'All'?
The input to the MIDI track is "Digidesign Digi 002 Port 1 -> all channels"

Quote:
Have you turned the power on for the MIDI Controller.
YES! I know that one! Power is on!

Thanks for the blindingly fast response, filosofem!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Local Disk:\Program Files\Digidesign\Documentation

filosofem
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Local Disk:\Program Files\Digidesign\Documentation
You know, that's what I love about DigiDesign. When most companies install software that has a lot of accompanying documentation, they put a link in the start menu that lets you know it's there, or perhaps a reminder when you press "F1" (the "Help" key in Windows) that there's a ton of documentation already installed on your PC.

But not DigiDesign. They'll write the documentation, even give it to you, but they're not going to tell you about it! (I know, I know, I'm sure somewhere there's a piece of paper saying "Documentation is in C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Documentation", so they are technically off the hook.)

Anyway, my midi port was enabled, and I figured out how to turn on Instrument View and select the input. I tried "All" and "Predefined -> Digidesign Digi 002 Port 1 -> all channels" and "Predefined -> Digidesign Digi 002 Port 1 -> channel-1". Still no sound from the external keyboard.

So maybe my question should be "What's the simplest way to check if my keyboard is sending out MIDI data like it should be?"

-Fred

P.S. I see you're from Christchurch! The best vacation I ever took was 2 weeks in 1997, driving around the South Island with my best friend from college. I'm looking forward to going back again someday!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Problem solved - found an old drum machine and my keyboard couldn't trigger it, either. Cycled power to my keyboard and it came up working fine!

Thanks for your help!

-Fred
Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Yep - power cycling can be good for a lot of things.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonkiman View Post
P.S. I see you're from Christchurch! The best vacation I ever took was 2 weeks in 1997, driving around the South Island with my best friend from college. I'm looking forward to going back again someday!
The Mainland is very pretty indeed!

filosofem