Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 and Vista 64 Bit?

Hey Everybody,
Will Pro Tools run on a Vista 64 Bit system? My friend that works at a music store says yes but on pro tools website, they say no. Is anyone currently running PT on Vista 64 Bit?
Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 and Vista 64 Bit?

Pro tools was written for a 32-bit operating system.
(Some guys have reported success running in a 64-bit environment, but why not use a proven configuration and save yourself a potential headache???)
It MIGHT work for awhile, but if you want guaranteed reliability, go with Digi's recommendations.

Your "friend" that works at a music store needs to do a little research before getting people to spend their hard-earned money. This is all-too-common with "music store" guys...sell it and get the money, and the buyer is on his own when it doesn't work. What do they care, they got your money!!!!! If you're gonna sell stuff, have a little integrity and develop some product knowledge!!!
This kinda nonsense really strikes a bad nerve with me.....
Best bet for now? XP Pro-32 bit.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
GNA

"Why not use a proven configuration?" Because right now some of the best deals on new PCs are for machines with a Vista 64-bit configuration. Sacrificing all the other benefits of 64-bit computing seems silly just for the sake of one application that the developers failed to test on a 64-bit OS.

In all likelihood, I'd bet the software would work on a 64-bit system. The problem is that Digidesign didn't make a point of validating the software in that environment. So that's why Digidesign says it does not "support" 64-bit OS. That doesn't mean the software won't work. It simply means they wouldn't provide tech support with it because it wasn't tested by their own beta testers. And, yes, if you tried it in 64-bit and it didn't work, then you'd be on your own.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM

In all likelihood, I'd bet the software would work on a 64-bit system.

For those of us that rely on this to make a living, "in all likelihood" just isn't good enough.
I read posts every day on here with all sorts of weird random errors being generated, and I for one don't have time to work around them when running it in a proven configuration means NONE of those errors. There's good reason why so many of are so adamant about sticking to what's been tested, and what we KNOW works. PT was written as a 32-bit application, and therefore needs to run in a 32-bit environment to be stable and predictable.
But that's just one guy's opinion. But it is a guy who relies on rock-solid stability every day to maintain a base of happy clients. No time for excuses here......

Sacrificing all the other benefits of 64-bit computing seems silly just for the sake of one application that the developers failed to test on a 64-bit OS.
They didn't really FAIL to test it..they are running tests within the parameters of how it was originally created.
Again, MOST of us that rely on this to make a living set up a very Pro Tools-specific computer. Digi never promised that PT would just install on any PC out there and automatically perform flawlessly. Plus, the "benefit" of a 64-bit OS for 32-bit-intended software is non-existant, as evidenced by all the people posting "please help!" pleas on the DUC.
If the PRIMARY reason for the computer is to run Pro Tools, follow the guidelines. If Pro Tools is secondary to you, and it isn't critical to spend less time scratching your head and more time producing, experiment away.
Second point is, it isn't THAT big a deal to wipe the 64-bit OS and install the recommended 32-bit OS.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA View Post
Because right now some of the best deals on new PCs are for machines with a Vista 64-bit configuration.
that doesnt mean theyre the best machines to run Pro Tools. why do you think prefab machines are so cheap as compared to a DIYS machine? prefab machines come with a bunch of crap on and in the OS and you dont have as much control over functionality. ie, tweaking the BIOS.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:28 PM

For those of us that rely on this to make a living, "in all likelihood" just isn't good enough.

I agree. If you have time to mess around and fool your driver than have at it. If not just run a 32-Bit system.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM

There are better choices than Pro Tools for those who are not that serious about recording and want to use a multi-purpose home PC for music. Pro Tools is best used on a Pro Tools only "qualified" computer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoni View Post
+1 im sick of people complaining about how they bought pt didnt do any research and low and behold it wont work on their 12 year old pentium 2 with 512mb of ram, so they start several threads about how digi sucks and is screwing everybody and how digi needs to take features out of pro tools to make it easier for noobies to use. Geez do some freakin research people. Stop complaining, sell all you digi stuff on ebay, go buy reaper for $60 and call it a day.
preach!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionchild View Post
Hey Everybody,
Will Pro Tools run on a Vista 64 Bit system? My friend that works at a music store says yes but on pro tools website, they say no. Is anyone currently running PT on Vista 64 Bit?
Thanks
I have PT8 running just fine on a laptop and desktop 64 bit pc. No problems noted to date.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akakpaws View Post
I have PT8 running just fine on a laptop and desktop 64 bit pc. No problems noted to date.
8 posts of rants and finally a simple answer to the poster's original question. Thanks for a succinct answer akakpaws. --RH