Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 AM

Default Trim/Scrub

In my quest to learn as much as I possibly can about my console, I realized that I've never used the Trim/Scrub/Shuttle section for making selections and trimming. Honestly, I don't understand how this works. Is it not possible to:
  • trim the end of a region?
  • trim to selection (without using the soft keys)?
I can trim to the cursor location, as described in the manual.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Trim/Scrub

Trim to selection is onlu possible with use of the soft key's or just hit command T.

Trimming the end of a region with the jogwheel is possible. Just hit Alt/option before you hit the scrub key.
Your screen will update to the end of the selection.

Trimming with the jogwheel is not the same for me as trimming with the trimtool, because using the jogwheel you always have to make a specific group for the selected tracks that you are willing to trim. Then you can trim those tracks together.

With the trimtool you just activate the "All" group and you can trim direct the tracks that you are wanting.
When you select the "all" group to do the same with the jogwheel a message will come on screen, explaining :

"Cannot begin trim/scrub because the insertion point or selection is not within an audio region"

After making a specific group for the tracks that you are willing to trim, it's than possible to do this with the jogwheel.

Grz,

Louis
Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Trim/Scrub

Quote:
Trimming the end of a region with the jogwheel is possible. Just hit Alt/option before you hit the scrub key.
Your screen will update to the end of the selection.
Aha! That works just fine! Then there's a mistake in the D-Command Guide. It says to hold down Option while pressing the Trim switch (page 73 in the 7.4 guide).

Yeah, I agree with you that trimming from the console seems to be a bit convoluted, but doing short editing tasks on single tracks should be quick and painless.

Thanks a lot for your time.