Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM

Default Bring it on...

Hey Guys...I am an Audio-Engineering student...I really don have enough experience with music-production or information regarding different music software...I am a film-school graduate so yeah kinna fascinated by pro-tools...coz i worked with it for a bit...I wana buy/install the latest protools 10 version on my notebook...my mate back in school give me kind of shivers regarding it that don install it bla bla coz of lot of random experiences they had in past...i want to know if i can get down with it and work on it hardcore...what else i will be needing prior or after installing the software...To be honest i am not tht good with the whole scenario regarding music-production or sound...but i am up for it...just need some good suggestions...Negative/positive...all on board...Just bring it on....
Cheers....Keep up the good work...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Bring it on...

Well, it's a bit hard to give you a definitive answer, since we don't know the specs of your computer. But in general, if you computer meets ProTools published minimum requirements, then it should work fine.

Chris
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM

The spec's of your notebook are key as to whether PT will work for you.
I ran PT 8 LE on windows vista and it was a nightmare! (it was known as a bad combo tho) now I run PT 10 on a mac pro and its a dream.
But be aware that you will always get occasional probs (but that can happen with all computing software and all DAW's not just Protools) and is more dependent on your pc/mac configuration and spec, again the spec must meet AVID's minimum, for light work the minimum is probably fine but if you want to do a lot of intensive processing (along with imported Quicktime files) then you may need a more powerful system.
As for PC or Mac? for me it goes like this; If your an I.T. expert and like to continually tweak and debug your system get a PC. But if you are the creative type and just want to get on and be creative without becoming an I.T. expert get a Mac Pro, lots of cores lots of RAM lots of drives and never look back. (you can get good recon Macs for the same or less than a new pc)
It will also help to consider what you will want to do with it in the future as if you are not already aware avid will no longer be supporting RTAS plugins in PT 11 for example, so if you buy PT 10 and are looking forward to upgrading to PT11 don't spend lots of money on RTAS plugins!
Other than these (the usual issues) PT 10 is fantastic and as a student you will get a great discount on it.
Cheers

Davie
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
El Capitan version 10.11.6

Hard drives;
1x SSD El Capitan (System) Pro tools 12.5.2

1 x 500 GB WD 7500rpm partitioned (system)
P1 OSX Mavericks - Protools 12.4,
P2 OSX Yosemite - Protools 12.4.

1 x 500GB WD 7500rpm (Pro Tools Audio)

1 x 1TB WD 7500rpm (Sample Libraries & Home)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 AM

Thanks Davie and Conlee...Well i got a new MacBook pro i.e 10.8.x thts a good one in my P.O.V. so i guess i should just buy a version of PT 10..Any good links from where to buy it student edition....
Thx once again and have a nice day...