Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Avid Store - Crossgrade clarity

Hi there. I currently have a Perpetual license for PT Standard. I can renew it for one year @ $260.

Or I can "Crossgrade" for $130...and "Save 50% off standard price for the first 2 years."

I need it spelled out for me. Does that mean I'd pay $130 for this next year, and then $130 the year after that, and then starting the 3rd year it would be $390 (full price) per year? Because after year 4, it's cheaper to just stay on Perpetual and never have switched to Subscription. Or am I crazy?

I'm using Canadian prices. Thanks for any clarity.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Avid Store - Crossgrade clarity

That looks correct based on current exchange rate. Crossgrading from Pro Tools Perpetual provides a $200US discount per year for the first 2 years. Annual Subscription is $299US vs $199US Update Plan Renewal. Subscription also includes Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle and HEAT so factor those in as well.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossH View Post
Hi there. I currently have a Perpetual license for PT Standard. I can renew it for one year @ $260.

Or I can "Crossgrade" for $130...and "Save 50% off standard price for the first 2 years."

I need it spelled out for me. Does that mean I'd pay $130 for this next year, and then $130 the year after that, and then starting the 3rd year it would be $390 (full price) per year? Because after year 4, it's cheaper to just stay on Perpetual and never have switched to Subscription. Or am I crazy?

I'm using Canadian prices. Thanks for any clarity.
Yes, it is a ridiculously and laughably bad deal. Don't forget, for those two years of cheaper subscription, you've given up your perpetual license ... so you stop paying, you stop using PT, period. Sure you get some extras, but maybe just pick up a HEAT license second hand if you really want it, or any of the other subscription-included plugins.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:08 PM

Let me also try to be clear:

1: "Crossgrade" means you surrender your perpetual licence forever! No way to get it back. Monthly or yearly paid subscription forever, unless you can find someone willing to sell their perpetual license. (Good luck w/that). Avid doesn't do that anymore.

2: What you refer to as "Renewal" is one year renewal of the "Updates/support plan". If you let it expire, you won't be able to update PT anymore. You're stuck on your current version, forever.

My "update plan" expires soon, also. I'm thinking; what do I get if I renew? Not much, I think. PT rewritten for Apple M1 in the next 12 months?

If I don't? My bet is I wont miss a thing.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
..."Crossgrade" means you surrender your perpetual licence forever! No way to get it back. Monthly or yearly paid subscription forever...
The Crossgrade presented in your Avid account states that you would be trading in your perpetual license for a discount on subscription. If you would prefer to keep your perpetual license then renew your Update Plan instead.

Quote:
...unless you can find someone willing to sell their perpetual license. (Good luck w/that). Avid doesn't do that anymore...
Doesn't do what?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Doesn't do what?
Sorry.
I meant: Avid doesn't sell perpetual licenses.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry.

Where’d you get that intel? I see it right down there for $599.

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...&sku=DYNA20000

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry.
We do! Perpetual licenses had their own page on the store for a bit, but are on the Pro Tools page with subscriptions.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Where’d you get that intel? I see it right down there for $599.

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...&sku=DYNA20000

Sorry, again.
I think I got it from DUC, but I stand corrected.
I'll be more careful.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Subscription also includes Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle and HEAT so factor those in as well.
Thanks Jeffro. That's what I was failing to consider, the included plugins in Subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Yes, it is a ridiculously and laughably bad deal. Don't forget, for those two years of cheaper subscription, you've given up your perpetual license ... so you stop paying, you stop using PT, period. Sure you get some extras, but maybe just pick up a HEAT license second hand if you really want it, or any of the other subscription-included plugins.
Hi Teej. Agreed, it doesn't seem like a great offer given the consequences.

Quote:
Let me also try to be clear:

1: "Crossgrade" means you surrender your perpetual licence forever! No way to get it back. Monthly or yearly paid subscription forever, unless you can find someone willing to sell their perpetual license. (Good luck w/that). Avid doesn't do that anymore.

2: What you refer to as "Renewal" is one year renewal of the "Updates/support plan". If you let it expire, you won't be able to update PT anymore. You're stuck on your current version, forever.
Hi Ben. Yes, it's confusing at best. I use my Mac for more than Pro Tools, so I update the OS once things seem like they might be stable (after making a backup!). So for that aspect, Perpetual is less appealing if I don't need to stay on an older version. But not being able to launch Pro Tools due to an expired Subscription is equally unappealing!

I'll re-up Perpetual for another year and then see where we're at. Not interested in moving to a Subscription at this point.

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful!