Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Default IO Setup management

Hi, I get a lot of different sessions with all kinds of io setups using all sorts of different interfaces and often my IO setup gets completely mangled as a result. Often it will get so messed up that I can't even choose the outputs for my device as they get greyed out and/or overwritten by new outputs I've never seen.

I've also ran into the problem of sending out a session and having the recipient tell me the outputs come up as something different than what I saved them as, which is a problem because often times the people getting the session get stumped trying to fix it.

Can someone explain to me how exactly ProTools chooses to keep which settings and/or has anyone maybe found an elegant solution to this problem?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Re: IO Setup management

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...27#post2090327

Replied in your other thread
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Default Re: IO Setup management

so.... the trick with I/O is that with PT being an open hardware software now (since PT9) the I/O setting must change for every different hardware configuration.... So If you use an MBox and send a session to a studio using an HDX system the I/O must change to be able to use the hardware...

So it is not that "simple" as you can see... however there are a few things you can do to make working with various hardware setups easier...

In the I/O windows you can simply default all tabs (Input, Output, Busses, etc) by hitting the DEFAULT button... now this just defaults the I/O to the hardwares factory preset... so If your playback engine is MBox the I/O will now default to the MBox factory I/O settings... There is also a box you can check that says "Overwrite session I/O with project settings" If this box is checked it will force the I/O to be set at whatever the session was set to when created and last saved... If you are swapping from one studio setup to another you dont want this checked, unless you are dealing with the same hardware setup, So MBOX3 Pro to another system using MBOX3 Pro you can check the tab and any alternative I/O that was setup will be implemented when you open the session...

You can also save the I/O as a preset.... Once you save an I/O setup you can recall it, share it or not use it at all....

The easiest thing to do when swapping from one system to another with various hardware configurations is to ensure you have the correct engine selected, have the box "Overwrite session I/O with project settings" unchecked so that your hardware gets set as the I/O specific to your studio setup, once you open the session you can either recall your I/O preset or hit the default on all tabs so your hardware I/O is setup to be used, which may require you selecting Inputs and outputs (as they may be greyed out looking for another hardware I/O to use that is no longer available....)

If the systems are the same just export the I/O preset with your session and have them recall that file.

I hope this helps