Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-04-2000, 06:47 PM

Default Overhead bleed on Kick track....help!!!

Am currently in the process of transferring some 1" stuff to PT4.2 and while editing one of the songs i noticed that the recording engineer had routed one of the drum overheads to the kick drum track.....it seems the overhead is the same volume as the kick drum.....hihats are the worst offender...having done a rough mix with a d2 and a d3 on the kick i've noticed the hihat pumping with the kick drum along with some nasty eq sideaffects on the snare. I cant seem to notch out the cymbals/snare without affecting the 2-4k area of the kick drum. Have thought of seperating each kick hit trimming the surrounding cymbals etc but realised the waveform is constant and would result in some nasty cutoffs with decay etc.
The song is pretty fast and chaotic a la Kyuss/Fu Manchu and the kick should be pretty far forward in the mix but with the snare/cymbals coming up so far as well with it, it proves nearly unlistenable.
Has anyone got an easy solution for me? Is it a question of using a carefully set noise gate?(Somthing i never have the call to use in PT)
Please reply as the track has a 2 week publishing deadline...thanks for your help guys.
As for that recording engineer.....i could murder him....... ...........hmmmmmm
Old 05-04-2000, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Overhead bleed on Kick track....help!!!

If the overhead mic that got mixed in with the kick also got recorded on it's own track then bring up that track on an extra channel and flip it's phase and see if it cancels out the stuff on the kick track.

Another idea would be to cut out a couple of kicks that are free and clear of any cymbals or hat and paste them next to the regular ones, thru the song.

sm
Old 05-04-2000, 10:34 PM

I think that the Sound Replacer idea is the best. It's not your fault. Sound Replacer is a quick way to retrigger it. If you can't get your hand on SR, than try to trigger it by some other means. You're lucky that it's the kick, snares are usually abyssmal in this situation...

An Alesis D4 works pretty well. If Sound Replacer doesn't work you might want to try cutting out everything but the kick hits....( you might want to do that anyway...)

Sean H

Scofield...
Old 05-05-2000, 01:48 AM

SoundReplacer will do dynamic triggering, but if the bleed is as loud as the kick, you will get get a bunch of extra kick hits that you don't want.

I would suggest packing a big lunch and remove (delete) everything from your kick track except the kick (this will take a while). Clear the data right up to the front of the waveform of all the kick hits. Then when you use SoundReplacer, it will have no problem triggering your new kick sample.

It will be a long day but when you have the new kick in there you will be a hero.

Good Luck
Old 05-05-2000, 02:23 AM

If you absolutely want to use the kick on from the recording, do as follows: Trig a midi seq with your recorded kick, you´ll probably get a lot of misstrig´s. Take them away. - Delay the seqtrack and run the seqsound in to "key in" on a gate. take the treshold down to -10 And you will probably be there. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2000, 03:59 AM

I'd mess with SR plug and the phase flip idea of Stevie Mac's before going mental with editing that should do you. The SR plug is super cool and well worth the purchase. Drum replacement WITHOUT f**king around with midi!!!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-05-2000, 04:23 AM

db8,

Been there, if possible have the offending recording engineer drop the kick to dat and the stereo O.H. mics to another dat in stereo. Sync works very well for 3 or 4 minute runs, without word clock or SSD. Recapture those tracks via digital inputs into PT and line them up. If the studio is cool...and "professional", it souldn't be a problem

Regards

e
Old 05-05-2000, 07:38 AM

Why wouldn't Db8 go ahead and trigger a sample for the kick (as suggested)? It seems the obvious thing to do. Are there cons to this that I'm unaware of?
Old 05-05-2000, 05:24 PM

Yes if the ride hits are so loud they mess with the triggering (despite eq etc). also $300 might not be avaiable instantly for soundreplacer...
jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-06-2000, 11:01 AM

Thanks a lot for the answers guys...i think i'll try Nashvilles gate idea and Steve Macs phase reversal trick (after i work out which overhead is bleeding - although i think it is the right(Hihat side over here in the uk!)).
We have a DM5 on order as well as PTmixPlus(with soundreplacer) but they wont be here for a month or so, so i'll have to pass on those ideas right now.
We ar'ent set up for midi right now (until we get PT5 with the mixplus system) but it definately sounds interesting......
Editor....i half understand your solution but cant understand how this would sort my problem out....could you simplify it a tad?
I've only been using PT for about 8 months and am not completely au fait with it yet i'm afarid- but i'm getting there.
Again, thanks for all your replies...hopefully saved my skin.....and the recording engineer........
Will be in the studio again on Monday....will let you know the outcome....
laterssssssss