Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-19-1999, 07:36 AM

Default display freeze

98 G3 beige 300MHz,256RAM,PT4.3.1,one mix core,two mix farm, 4cheetah HD, adaptec 2940UW SCSIcontroller,one built-in display card,another ATI graphic card for second monitor. magma 7slot exp.

when playback or recording, only display freez sometimes. after freezing any command doesn't affect.neither from mouse, procontrol.
while freezing,playback and recording procedure goes well. and the system automatically wakes up in normal condition in 10-15 seconds.
so during 10-15 seconds, I can't do nothing but waiting.

I guess there may be some problems with built in garphic card. such as lack of graphic memory or buffer.
considering playback and recording goes well, there's no problems with DAE.

SOMEBODY HELP ME...

we fixed. I got the wormscanner and deleted
the worm virus. there are some FTP site available.
thanks Doug Rider & shanew.

[This message has been edited by nanjang studio2 (edited 11-21-99).]
Old 11-19-1999, 07:43 AM

Default Re: display freeze

We too are experiencing the same symtom but on several different macs and a variety of PTools versions. We have 9600's and G3's (beige) that will freeze without apparent reason for several seconds during which time the mouse and display stop responding. During this time, however, any recording or playback that was happening continues without any problem. After several seconds then everything is back to normal. This is a fairly recent development and not a result of any hardware, software, or operating system change. Also, we are not networked. Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Howard
Old 11-20-1999, 12:12 AM

I too have the temporary 10-20 second freeze happening. I have a Mix Plus system in a pm9500/132, 128mb ram, Initio Miles U2 (LVD), 2 -IBM 4.5gb model ddrs-34560 hard drives, 882/20, 882/16, PT v4.3.2, Mac OS 8.6.

Anyone have an answer for this? What OS version is the other 2 people using?

I don't think I had this problem using Mac OS 8.5.

Old 11-20-1999, 08:48 AM

Folks I do believe you have a worm. These were the symptoms of an autostart virus that I had and was able to rid myself of with worm scanner (a freeware program). You can stop the worm's progress by going to your Quicktime control panel and disengaging "cd rom autostart." I highly recomend finding worm scanner by doing an internet search and ridding yourself of this beast.
Old 11-20-1999, 09:54 AM

There is a very long thread on the MacFixit web site about stalls that last about 15-30 seconds concerning DHCP Ethernet settings in your TCP/IP control panel and/or no CD in your internal CD with Mac OS 8.6.

Try http://www.macfixit.com/cgi-bin/ulti...i?action=intro

You may have to do some searching in the archives of the site. Try searching on the word "Stall" in the subject line.

Doug Rider
Old 11-20-1999, 09:59 AM

There is a very long thread on the MacFixit web site about stalls that last about 15-30 seconds concerning DHCP Ethernet settings in your TCP/IP control panel and/or no CD in your internal CD with Mac OS 8.6.

Try http://www.macfixit.com/cgi-bin/ulti...i?action=intro

You may have to do some searching in the archives of the site. Try searching on the word "Stall" in the subject line.

Doug Rider
Old 11-21-1999, 07:31 AM

You definitely have a worm virus !!

Get "worm scanner" , run it & all will be fine again.

Though easy to grab, I can send you the app if you wish. Just mail ..

Take care, nanjang ..

------------------
Old 11-21-1999, 07:33 AM

You definitely have a worm virus !!

Get "worm scanner" , run it & all will be fine again.

Though easy to grab, I can send you the app if you wish. Just mail ..

Take care, nanjang ..

------------------