Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-21-2000, 04:09 PM

Default Vintagefarms vs mixfarm, how big diff ?

Can anybody tell me how big the difference are between the two. I mean the real diff.
not the one in the ad´s.

Smack
Old 03-21-2000, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Vintagefarms vs mixfarm, how big diff ?

It's a big difference in some ways, small in others.

For example, I can run 3 lexiverbs on the "A" chips on a Mix farm, but 4 on a vintage farm. Amp Farm takes up a whole chip as well, regardless of which farm card.

However, the Waves C1 and Q10 seem pretty much limitless on a mix farm, while they run out pretty fast on a vintage.

Basically, if you only use processor instensive effects, the cards are about equal, but if you use basic effects (compressor, EQ, mixer), there is a big difference.

Keep in mind as well that there a number of plugins that either only work on a Mix farm (C4, SuperTap), or have their capabilities increased when run on a Mix farm (Bruno/Reso). Also, certain compressors and EQs (Renaissance variety, from Waves) only run on A chips, even though they are seemingly "basic" effects.

You have to be a bit more thoughtful with how you allocate the DSP, but if done right, the Mix farm provides a HUGE increase. I was tentative to sell my DSP farm for a second mix farm, but it was well worth it.
Old 03-22-2000, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Vintagefarms vs mixfarm, how big diff ?

Thanks for answering UNO,

Smack