Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-30-2000, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Benefit of SuperClock?

Hi once again, all. I believe I'm satisfied with results I have gotten to my question so far, and I thank all who have participated. I emailed Bob Katz the question and got this response:

"The benefit of superclock is it seems to me you do not need a PLL. All the needed frequencies can be obtained by division rather than multiplication. This (in theory) could produce less jitter. But it all depends on how clean the superclock generator is!"

By mentioning "needed frequencies" this I believe is suggesting oversampling which I completely forgot to consider before asking the question. Makes perfect sense because converters with no oversampling are about impossible to find, and most in the pro audio industry are 64x and 128x. This would suggest that superclock could accurately support sampling frequencies of up to 256x without multiplication and interpolation.

I have my answer and I am satisfied, and for all those who helped me and others wondering the same I thank, including of course Mr. editor .
Old 12-01-2000, 03:28 AM

Ok, so which is it?
It helps the PLL keep more stable, or you don't need a PLL at all?
And to both theories, why does x1 from an apogee or aardvark still sound a world better than x256 from the USD?
Or is there some completely unexpected reason proprietary to TDM and having no bearing on conventional digital knowledge?

I really wish some techie from digi would chime in and explain exactly how&why x256 is implemented in the 888.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-02-2000, 12:21 AM

A question a little off topic ,
can a word clock input , lets say
from a Finalizer read superclock from a
888 unit or will i have to get USD or a
aadvark master clock? The results i get
is 48khz sample rate on the Finalizer
when it should be 44.1khz...
Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-02-2000, 03:59 AM

I think I would choose option 2:

Continue using the AD8000 as master clock. Run it's Superclock into a distribution box, then to each peripheral as in #1.

Daisy chains of clock sources don't hold 'Sync" as well as with a distribution box/amp that makes sure, every box in the chain has the correct impedance and proper clock voltage level. The AD8000 clock is known to be very stable. The Aardsync is great and has a built in distribution hub on one of the new units the Aardsync II, I think. However, this will cost you more duckets Vs the AD8000 distribution solution.

Just my .02¢ worth.

Regards

e
Old 12-07-2000, 05:13 PM

Hi y'all
I've tried to resist posting on this thread, mainly because nobody has commented on the SOUND of anything, which is, in the final analysis, what we're all most interested in..
So..I'm not going to "Batter" anyone with late-night rantings which I may regret tomorrow morning, or any incomprehensible "English" attempts at humour.
What I will say, is that a very stable master clock source from, say, an Aardsynch, is worth its weight in torn-out hair and chewed-off nails. If every piece of digital gear is clocked from one, highly stable source, life will be a dream, hehmmm, hehmmm.
Apogee will make great claims about the absolute solidity of their clock with regard to everyone elses, and, the Aardsync is the only one which they'll accept as an equal, which indicates, to my sceptical mind, that it's probably better....
AD8ks are, in my experience, very choosey with regard to the clock they're synching to (I've noticed a particular intransigence to MTPAV clocks-god knows what they'd make of a BRC!).
Regarding Digi "Superclock", maybe it's a function of TDM and DAE...see my forthcoming opus.."Harry Potter and the Digidesign Audio Engine"! (sorry about the plagiarism, J.K., but I need the royalties!)
Regards to all....
Old 12-08-2000, 12:45 AM

Is the clocking an issue when mixing internally in PT?

I always use BTD when doing the final mix, and it sounds fine on my setup (actually better than just playing back to a 24 bit DAT)

So would an Aardsync affect the sound of my bounce?

iMac27 i7 3.4 / 32 GB Ram / ML 10.8.5
Apollo 8 / PTHD 10.3.9 / PTHD 12.4
Old 12-09-2000, 11:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Is the clocking an issue when mixing internally in PT?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if all sources are either internal from PT or from external digital. If you are bouncing with any live analog inputs, it can be an issue because the source must be A/Ded.

But theoretically this should only affect the quality of that source, not the full mix.
Old 12-13-2000, 05:32 AM

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Apogee Rosetta for my PT system. Before this I´ve been using the MTP-AV as sync/WC for PT (that is WC out from MTP to WC in at the Adat Bridge then having internal on in the hardware setup.) How should I connect now when having The Rosetta?
Please explain in easy terms.

Smack