Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Drum Replacement in PT?

There really is no drum specific Pro Tools sample player, unless of course you want to tab to transient and use only one sample to replace or beef up a specific drum. Even if you take the time to do this you will get the machine gun effect on any fill, which is not something that any modern drum replacement tool does now. Slate Trigger, however, is really the hands down winner when it comes to third party drum replacement plugins.
Drumagog was once the go to drum sample player but Trigger is a better option now. It's worth a shot to try it out. If you do a search here on drum sample player threads you will see that the majority of users support this preference.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 AM

I recently bought the basic version of Drumagog for $89, works great. I may upgrade to the platinum version as it allows you to use other drum vsi programs to replace sounds as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuomik View Post
How about SoundReplacer ?
http://www.avid.com/US/products/SoundReplacer
It used to be a paid option for PT8 or before,
but it is free for PT9 and 10.

Soundreplacer is seriously outdated as it only plays one sample. This will result, as was stated, in the machine gun effect on any fill. If you want realistic sounding drum enhancement this will not work in your favor. The newer plugins hold many velocity layers of the same instrument and never playback the same sample, even when it is in the same velocity zone, twice in a row. It's the only way to get a realistic sounding result.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Massey DRT

Full version $69

http://www.masseyplugins.com/plugins/drt

I used to use Slate Trigger till DRT came out.

Pro Tools HD 2019.6 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Pro Tools HD2 8.1.1 | 2 x PCIe Core Card | 2 x Digi 192 | 2009 Mac Pro Eight Core 2.26ghz
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Soundreplacer will play more than one sample based on a volume level. It will trigger up to 3 samples I think. However, it's outdated and was never very good any way. Replace the same track 3 times with the same settings and compare the results and you'll see that it's horribly inconsistent.

I was using ApTrigga, which worked wonderfully. It was very simple and very consistent even though it was VST and needed to be used through the VST Wrapper from FXpansion. But PT !0 broke it and the company hasn't updated it in years. I was never able to get even the demo of Drumagog working on an 8 core Mac with PT 10 and a 002r. Contacting the company resulting in some dialog but no solution other than "Well, it works fine for us". After trying Slate Trigger though, I lost interest in even exploring Drumagog." The settings in Trigger are easy to adjust and the timing is tight. It sometimes takes some tweaking for lower level strikes within a track, but that tweaking is pretty minimal and to me very easy. While I never got to use Drumagog, I have used older versions and seen current video demos. Based on that, Trigger seems easier and better to me. The library isn't stellar but there's some good stuff there. I prefer to keep a library of my own samples pulled from sessions that I liked anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Sound Replacer, Drumagog, Drum Rehab, Trigger, SPL Drum Xchanger.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuomik View Post
How about SoundReplacer ?
http://www.avid.com/US/products/SoundReplacer
It used to be a paid option for PT8 or before,
but it is free for PT9 and 10.
Not true. Soundreplacer isn't free with any version of Pro Tools.
It can be had on eBay for low money, but, as stated above, it's a little long in the toothe, and there are other similar tools that are better....like Drumagog and Massey, or Slate Trigger
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Massey DRT

Full version $69

http://www.masseyplugins.com/plugins/drt

I used to use Slate Trigger till DRT came out.
I use DRT and print the audio clicks that it can create. The audio clicks then are used to trigger Trigger, which has mostly my own samples in it. I find audio triggering to be sample accurate as opposed to using midi to trigger a sampler, which is almost always not.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I use DRT and print the audio clicks that it can create. The audio clicks then are used to trigger Trigger, which has mostly my own samples in it. I find audio triggering to be sample accurate as opposed to using midi to trigger a sampler, which is almost always not.
Maybe I'm missing something. If I am, I apologize. But......If you have Trigger, why can you not just place it on the the drum track needing replacement as a plugin rather than generate another track with DRT and then trigger from that?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Hi,

If you havn't bought anything yet surprised no one mentioned Steven Slate Drums Trigger ! 3rd party world class runs as a plug in in PT great samples, phase aligned etc.

I think there are vids on the SSD website and it was just on sale too !

Epiphone