Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Elastic Audio Glitches on Multi-Track Drums

i need some help troubleshooting elastic audio for multi-track drums. i'm using pro tools hd 7.4cs4 on mac os 10.4.9. when i use elastic audio across 14 tracks of drums to quantize, i check all the warp markers and everything is griding up and sounding in time, but every so often i'll get an audio glitch where the snare sounds like it's flamming when it shouldn't. no matter how much i delete and re-detect those warp markers where the glitch is, i can't get it to go away. anyone else having this problem? are there any workarounds? thanks!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Glitches on Multi-Track Drums

Hi Travis,

Don't know if I can help but it sounds like you are getting artifacts. If this is happening then you might try using less tracks at once when you use the Elastic Audio tool. You may be taxing the system. If it works that your workaround would be to take the the tracks that you were successful, and attaching one of those tracks to the rest of the drums that are left. Then you are fixing all the others first and then hopefully getting the "flammed " one fixed afterwards. Sounds like it's a bit complex for the algorhythm right now and this may work you around the problem by fixing all the other tracks and then hitting the problem one.

You can always go back, a nid hit that snare with something like melodyne or Serato if that's what they need. I find Serato works really well along with VocAlign Pro. I have not even made the jump to 7.4 yet because they work so well. I know I"m missing some bells and shistles, ahh, but what the hell? I"ll get it soon. It looks like a great in house processing tool. DOn't know if I helped you but I hope so.

Best,
Scott Goldberg
Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 AM

HI!

A couple of questions:
- do you have the drum tracks grouped?
- what algorithm are you using?

I just had two songs with 13 tracks of drums and no real problems. Rhythmic algorithm works best to preserve phase, but the drum tracks have to be grouped. I did have to delete some warp markers AND analyze markers as well on some cymbal crashes because sometimes they make a 'stepped sound' on the cymbal decay.

R.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM

Search the DUC over the last couple months for very detailed instructions re this, most notably from Steve M. The number of tracks shouldn't have anything to do with it. Anyway, it's been covered here, a little searching and you'll find lots of competent advice.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
i need some help troubleshooting elastic audio for multi-track drums. i'm using pro tools hd 7.4cs4 on mac os 10.4.9. when i use elastic audio across 14 tracks of drums to quantize, i check all the warp markers and everything is griding up and sounding in time, but every so often i'll get an audio glitch where the snare sounds like it's flamming when it shouldn't. no matter how much i delete and re-detect those warp markers where the glitch is, i can't get it to go away. anyone else having this problem? are there any workarounds? thanks!!
This happens to me every once in a while. This is not an artifact. On one project it was doing it to the bottom snare mic. For some reason EA was moving ONLY the bottom snare so it was off-set compared to the rest of the drums. If you don't have a bunch of flams, go in and check individual tracks. Then fix only adjust the one.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, WI

Check out my studio :) http://www.bobbyperurecording.com
Check out my band :)
http://www.newloud.com
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM

the drums (14 tracks) are grouped and in tick mode. elastic audio is getting all the timing right, it's just the occasional glitch on the transient of the sound. if i switch from rhythmic mode to monophonic or polyphonic, sometimes the glitches will go away, but then the rest of the time stretching doesn't sound as good overall--it gets a little mushier. maybe my computer isn't fast enough? it's a dual 2 ghz g5 with 3.5 gigs ram. thanks for the advice.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Make sure all your edit points are aligned across the 14 tracks. You'll find individual tracks with different edit points will behave differently from the others when quantizing (in group) causing the drums to lose sync / phase. Make sense? I generally move the rooms / big rooms forward to align with the overhead before editing. Then I go thru and re line up all the edit points in waveform view (from comping / punchins whatever) If you don't do this you will have some real problems - unpredictable. Keep a playlist of unedited drums to refer too.

Ainslie
Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 AM

how dense should the analysis markers be on the individual drum tracks within the group? should there be as many as possible? only on the important hits? do i need to go in and edit them all down on each track within the group? i just can't get EA to sound good across a multi-tracked drum group. too many audio glitches even though a lot of it does sound good.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Multi-Track Drum instructions?

I've done lots of searching and still can't find the "detailed instructions" some have referred to.
Would someone PLEASE post a link to those in this thread?
THNX!

kopper
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Multi-Track Drum instructions?

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...Number=1235259