Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Do we have a Repeat function bug? (7.1)

Incredibly, if you use the repeat function on an audio session grided to measures and the number of repeats is anything above 20, say 100 or so, if you examine the last portions of audio, THE AUDIO WILL BE HORRENDOUSLY OUT OF THE GRID.

AM I CRAZY AND THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING TO ME?

check this example

1-Selection of a Quarter note grid section
2-image to confirm audio bit starts exactly on grid
3-image of 400th repetition (only 52 meas)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4765/picture1zx8.png

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9281/picture2in3.png

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1980/picture3fh6.png
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Do we have a Repeat function bug? (7.1)

can someone confirm this?

The weird thing is that if I start a session it works correctly, I'm having problems with this particular set of sessions, that come from different sources and mostly from PT 6.XX.

Thxs
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 AM

This is a known issue. It's because of rounding errors, dependent on the tempo/sample rate relationship. Just select the regions an "Quantize Region to Nearest Grid" (Command+0). That should fix it.

R.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
This is a known issue. It's because of rounding errors, dependent on the tempo/sample rate relationship. Just select the regions an "Quantize Region to Nearest Grid" (Command+0). That should fix it.

R.
Don't understand how this will fix it, I'm quantizing the audio after the error, that is not a fix, that is sweeping the dust under the rug.

This didn't happen on my PT 5.1 TDM MIX rig on OS 9. So it can't be THAT DIFFICULT TO SOLVE since it once worked. Even more, I would EXPECT it to be done correctly from the start, I don't see Digital Performer (which I have and can corroborate) having this problem or Logic (which I have and can corroborate)....so the rounding error is a LAME excuse, this is not a $100 piece of equipment, at least my rig is worth nearly FORTY THOUSAND $$, exp chasis, 5 Accel cards, 2 interfaces, ProControl 24 faders.

I don't feel understanding about this, this is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL TOOL, It's very embarrasing to explain some rounding error to a client when he can do this simple function on garage band without a hick-up...

C'mon DIGI come up with a Fix LIKE YESTERDAY....
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

R.
Don't understand how this will fix it, I'm quantizing the audio after the error, that is not a fix, that is sweeping the dust under the rug.

This didn't happen on my PT 5.1 TDM MIX rig on OS 9. So it can't be THAT DIFFICULT TO SOLVE since it once worked. Even more, I would EXPECT it to be done correctly from the start, I don't see Digital Performer (which I have and can corroborate) having this problem or Logic (which I have and can corroborate)....so the rounding error is a LAME excuse, this is not a $100 piece of equipment, at least my rig is worth nearly FORTY THOUSAND $$, exp chasis, 5 Accel cards, 2 interfaces, ProControl 24 faders.

I don't feel understanding about this, this is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL TOOL, It's very embarrasing to explain some rounding error to a client when he can do this simple function on garage band without a hick-up...

C'mon DIGI come up with a Fix LIKE YESTERDAY....
It is said that the problem has always existed; I did not notice it, however, before PT6.7 (when Digi introduced tick-based audio, coincidence?). Do a search in the DUC with "rounding error" to see explanations in more detail... I agree that it would be nice to have it working properly, but once you know about the problem, using Command+0 is a fast way to deal with it.

R.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM

I would like for some Digi guy to post here something about this

It is so totally unacceptable, like the little festering problem that the system freezes erratically for no apparent cause for 3-5 sec and audio still plays and then it resumes with out a problem.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

I live in constant paranoia when I bounce, looking for the ghost automation error caused by one of these minifreezes.

Again this is a very expensive tool, supposedly a professional tool, and again I'm having this sensation that we are Guinea pigs for their half baked products.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM

I would like for some Digi guy to post here something about this

It is so totally unacceptable, like the little festering problem that the system freezes erratically for no apparent cause for 3-5 sec and audio still plays and then it resumes with out a problem.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

I live in constant paranoia when I bounce, looking for the ghost automation error caused by one of these minifreezes.

Again this is a very expensive tool, supposedly a professional tool, and again I'm having this sensation that we are Guinea pigs for their half baked products.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM

I have had this happen to me a bunch in editing, I do a quick fix and I forget about it - BUT I remember the Digi guy talking about the conditions for the error, and how to avoid them, when I went to the local PT7 introduction a while ago.

Has something to do with tick-based vs. sample-based audio and which editing mode you're in...I think.

Not much of a help, sorry, but it is known and it is avoidable.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I have had this happen to me a bunch in editing, I do a quick fix and I forget about it - BUT I remember the Digi guy talking about the conditions for the error, and how to avoid them, when I went to the local PT7 introduction a while ago.

Has something to do with tick-based vs. sample-based audio and which editing mode you're in...I think.

Not much of a help, sorry, but it is known and it is avoidable.
It had something to do with being in Bar/Beat mode and the specific way you select the region before Repeat... It's much easier just to Quantize to Grid than trying to remember the whole procedure, which, I think, didn't really work after all...

R.