Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-26-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Tonebone PZ Pre into Eleven Rack

So I just bought a used Eleven Rack, hoping to use it live with my electric, mostly for the effects not the Ov-drives and distortion...I love my gain pedals, but maybe I'll come around to the ER again pedals. Certainly going to use it for recording, maybe just maybe I'll go direct and use the modeling side of the ER.

I've been Hoping I could use it as an acoustic preamp / DI. Every single thing I seen has to do with mic'ing an acoustic. This morning in our church worship I ran out of my Martin D16, via my LR Baggs M80...1/4" cable into the front of the E Rack, then I ran out of the back via the left channel of the XLR out. I set the rig input to guitar and the rig out to "RIG OUT." I used the Vocal preset muting the gain pedals, and amp modeling. I might 100% sure my output settings are right, I wanted to be able to just send everything but the modeling and speaker cab simulations...but still sounded pretty good

I played with the para eq and used the compressor sparingly....but really wanted to use my Radial Tonebone PZ Pre acoustic preamp DI, by no time. So this evening I pulled out a powered monitor and went for it. 1st I set the input for the rig to "MIC." The output same as this morning. I plugged my acoustic into input of the PZ Pre, came out of the XLR line out (POST EQ) and direct into the mic input of the E Rack, setting EQ on the PZ PRE to flat ( although there is a direct out on the PZ the bypassed the EQ, I just maybe I could warm up the ER if need be....it was sweet!!

Tomorrow I will come out of the PZ's Pre EQ, don't want to use the EQ on the Tonebone PZ Pre as a crutch, but if makes it better...only thing I'm noticing is a hiss that I never get with the PZ PRE. I only ever use chorus and delay on my acoustic, using ER as a preamp / DI isn't an essential part but would be handy. I think it could be the thing

ANY THOUGHTS !! Look forward to to some skilled ER users to chime in.

Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beard Electric guitar
2003 Traynor YCV40WR Tube amp
Eleven Rack
Fulltone Plimsoul
Guy stone OD2
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
TC Elec Flashback Mini
TC Elec tuner
Boss Tremelo
Lexicon MPX 1