Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 01-23-2001, 04:06 AM

Default Error (-9093)

When I attempt to play any file I get the
following:

The operating system held off interrupts
for too long. If this occurs often try
increasing the H/W buffer size in the hardware setup panel. (-9093)

Win98
Athalon T-bird 1G
128 Mb RAM
Voodoo3 Vid card (using PCI slot)
SCSI card (PCI) no devices on it at this time
SEKD ProDif 24 Sound Card (ISA slot)

Any suggestions appreciated

Old 01-24-2001, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Error (-9093)

Hi there.
Activate the DMA Option for your HD. If this won´t work it´s a conflict with AMD and VIA Chipset. In this case you only can buy a new computer with Intel PIII and Intel Chipset.
Bye
Old 01-24-2001, 04:24 AM

Thanks for responding.

That's it ? There's no work around ?
My MB has a raid controller, should I try
should I try using it ? Bios upgrade ?
SCSI HD's ? I realize that this progam is
free and therefore castrated but there are always ways to make things work. I also realize that this is a discussion forum and
we are all just users but give me something
besides buying a new comp when my current system is just out of the box.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:55 PM

Hi JPYannece,

Your problem is probably *not* related to your CPU or chipset, so don't worry about having to run out and buy a new computer (a 1 GHz Athlon machine is awesome). However, we have not done testing with SEKD sound cards, so there be a compatibility problem with that specific card/driver and Pro Tools FREE. Try the suggestions below, but if you're still having problems, you may need to try another sound card (does your motherboard have a built-in sound device you can try?)

The -9093 error is usually the result of some device driver in the system that is disabling interrupts and running too long during interrupt processing (not a very nice device driver). Tracking down the offending device and then disabling it (or getting updated drivers) is usually the work-around.

Try these things...

Disable your network device via the Windows Device Manager (network device drivers are notorious for this).

If this doesn't help, try disabling some other devices (things like Modems, 1394 cards, etc.) one at a time in the Device Manager.

Make sure DMA mode is enabled on all of your ATA drives (use the device manager and look at the settings tab of the properties dialog on each ATA device).

Make sure "Auto Insert Notification" is disabled for all of your CD/DVD drives (settings tab of the properties dialog for the CD/DVD drives in the Device Manager).

You might also use alt-ctrl-del and do an "End Task" on everything except Explorer and Sys Tray (to make sure nothing else is running in the "background"). Disabling Anti-Virus programs is also advised.

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign

[This message has been edited by Kenn LeGault (edited January 27, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kenn LeGault (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-28-2001, 11:55 PM

Hi Ken,

I've asked this once before. Using the above methods i've been able to run R1 at very low H/W sample rates (256, sometimes 128) yet with R2 under the same system configuration i have to use much higher rates (at least 1024, usually more). Is there a known reason for this? Is there anything i can do about it? I'd prefer to run R2 if that's plausible.

BTW, when you say enable DMA on all drives, you aren't including cd Rom drives as well, or are you?

Thanks, Steve Dietrich
Old 01-29-2001, 01:24 AM

Hi Steve,

I usually have DMA mode enabled on my CD/DVD drives, but this probably doesn't make a difference vis-a-vis PT FREE since you shouldn't be using your CD/DVD drives while recording/playing audio with PT FREE.

R2 should perform as well or better than R1, so unfortunately I can't explain why your system requires larger H/W buffers with R2. If you were having better results with R1, you might as well use it.

Make sure nothing else has changed in your system since upgrading from R1 to R2. I usually remove everything from my Start Up folder and I rename the "Run" key to "xxxRun" via RegEdit at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion

This makes sure nothing else is running in the background.

You might also try playing with different video modes (resolutions, bit depths or number of colors, advanced settings, etc.) to see if that makes a difference.

Larger H/W buffers are needed when either some other driver or high-priority thread in the system is using too many CPU cycles at a time, or if the sound card/driver is inefficient.

Good luck!

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign

Old 01-30-2001, 06:07 PM

Hi Kenn,

Thanks for the info. I'll give those suggestions a try.
Is the Via KT133 chipset problematic (Abit KT7 RAID MB)?
Can you suggest Compatable Digital I/O card ?
Can you suggest cheap compatable sound card ?

Thanks,

Joe Yannece Http://pages.prodigy.net/jpyannece
Old 02-07-2001, 03:33 PM

<
Make sure nothing else has changed in your system since upgrading from R1 to R2.>>

Thanks again Ken,

everything is definitely the same, yet R1 performs at lower buffer sample sizes. Are there any known settings which would effect/disturb R2, yet not R1?

Not that it makes much difference.

Also, i have a suggestion: How 'bout an "auto-mute track while recording" otpion? Or at least a keyboard shortcut for muting the selected track. That would make muting a track during record (for latency reasons) and then unmuting it to listen to what you've just done a lot easier, especially when there's a lot of punching in and out involved...

Steve