Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Plug-ins cause White Noise randomly...

Hey all,

This could be the same issue as the audio interupting randomly during plug-in usage, but we have our own little scenario...

We just updated to 2.8.1, and susequently 2.8.2... Since then, on our VENUE D-Show at FOH we have had instances where simply moving or instantiating plugins has cause loud white/pink noise to flow through the main L/R outputs... A reboot of the console corrects the problem.

We have a VENUE Profile at monitors, and have not seen the problem yet... Perhaps we just don't mess with the plugs enough or use similar plugins... Can't say for sure.

Is this the same problem?

We don't need to clutter the boards with these threads, so we can condense this if it's the same. Just thought I'd share our experiences...

Jason Stygar
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Plug-ins cause White Noise randomly...

Very interesting indeed.

I'm more and more concerned about this whole plug-ins bug. I've been considering rolling back to 2.7 but not sure if there are any implications I need to keep in mind when rolling back. Can the OS go back to 2.7 after an upgrade without any complications?

We just have too many events and users to keep taking the chance of audio interruption during a service. The problem is not consistent enough to just avoid certain steps and stay in the clear.

Curious what happens with your specific case, Jason.
www.cordernotes.com
Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Hey Tim,

Sheldon suggested to someone in the other thread that they go back to the other OS versions and check to see if the plug-in problem happened there... So I can't say for sure, but maybe it's pretty straightforward. More instruction would be good though...

We received our upgrade kits this week and I considered waiting, just because of this issue. We moved forward with it because most issues seemed to come in the case of instantiating or moving plug-ins... Things that already interrupted audio anyways (albeit a little more destructive interruption now)...

A restart has always gotten us back to normal, but that's obviously not acceptable during a service... I figure as long as we are messing around with the plug-in structure and stick to tweaking settings, then we'd be okay...

It's a scary bug though, for sure. The noise comes through super hot. Takes a few minutes to pick all your drivers up off the floor...
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Avid

Hi guys,

This is still very much on our radar, but there's nothing to report just yet. Given the possible combinations of plug-ins, routing and show file configurations these types of issues can be difficult to track down. Here's what you can do to help...

If the problem does occur again, immediately do this:

Hold CTRL and SHIFT and type the letter A (CTRL+SHIFT+A). This drops a time stamped marker in the log files so the support team can precisley locate when the problem occurred. Also, if you can, save a copy of the show file in the current "broken" state. Give it an obvious name.

Once this is done contact the support team ([email protected]) and reference this post. They'll walk you through sending in the show files and log files for analysis. Better yet, if you've come across a recipe of moves that reproduce the problem 100% of the time, then contact us immediately.

Sheldon
Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks Sheldon!

I know you guys are workin' hard... Just wanted to add ours to the mix...

I'll put my guys on alert and make sure they know the process in case it happens again.

Jason
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM

We've had this issue. I rolled both my consoles back to 2.7.1 today to rule out any plugin and/or hardware issues. I'll hammer on them for a week and see what happens, but initial tests this afternoon had everything working back to normal.

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 PM

After a little more than a week on the 2.7.1, I can say that any odd issues we had under 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 on our D-Shows have disappeared and our desks again are rock-solid.

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM

That's good news Dave... Thanks for the update.

As for us, we sent two show files with log markers, as Sheldon prescribed, to the support team. We'll keep you posted on what we hear.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Do we have any updates where this fix stands? Along with the 'audio dropout' issue?

I sent in our files but have heard nothing since...

Just curious if it's getting close....

Jason
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Avid

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we look into this - the files you've sent in have been really helpful in narrowing down the cause. We believe we've tracked it down to a relationship between the GEQs and the plug-in racks.

The bad news is that this isn't the type of issue you want to rush out a fix for. It needs to be completely verified and thoroughly tested. I can't give an exact time for when an update will be made available, but it's on the order of weeks, not days.

The good news is that there's a workaround that you can use in confidence for the the meantime. Simply set the number of GEQs ins the show config (Options>System page) to 0 (the minimum) or 24 (the maximum) and you should no longer see the issue.

Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Sheldon