Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2002, 03:27 PM

Default What do i need to do (buy) to have a stable system?

I have a 001 with a g4 466 with 386megs of ram and a seperate HD for audio. I only use the computer for audio. I am downloading the new 5.1.1. tommorrow and am wondering what i should do to not have so many DAE errors. It ALWAYS gives me them when recording a lot of tracks for over 4 minutes. Im using 5.0.1 right now so will the newer update fix all this or is there anything i should do? Will having a better word clock fix the stability problems? Is there any way to use a 001 as your main mulitrack in a somewhat pro studio setting or should i just get the tascam or radar 24 track? I'm just trying to figure out what im going to do... and if i should buy a new recorder (i wont be mixing in PT). thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:36 AM

Default Re: What do i need to do (buy) to have a stable system?

Hello,
I'm not sure about the G4s specifically but I have some suggestions that may help.

Do computer maintenance once every two to four weeks:

Trash Finder Prefs, Rebuild Desktop, Zap PRAM, check with Disk First Aid, Norton Disk Doctor and Alsoft Disk Warrior if you have it and defragment with Norton Speed Disk.

Some other things:

Set the extension set to Apple Base and then create your own set from that, adding only the extensions you need and disabling ones you know you don't.

The usual ProTools recommendations: Set font to Chicago, No Font Smoothing, Disk Cache to 512K and Virtual Memory Off.

Try not to have other Applications running if possible and give DAE and ProTools more Memory allocation (DAE at least 40MB).

Use two partitions, one for your System and the other for your Audio work.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 01-06-2002, 01:38 AM

Oh, and check for updates to all your software especially the OS.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>:
Hello,
I'm not sure about the G4s specifically but I have some suggestions that may help.

Do computer maintenance once every two to four weeks:

Trash Finder Prefs, Rebuild Desktop, Zap PRAM, check with Disk First Aid, Norton Disk Doctor and Alsoft Disk Warrior if you have it and defragment with Norton Speed Disk.

Some other things:

Set the extension set to Apple Base and then create your own set from that, adding only the extensions you need and disabling ones you know you don't.

The usual ProTools recommendations: Set font to Chicago, No Font Smoothing, Disk Cache to 512K and Virtual Memory Off.

Try not to have other Applications running if possible and give DAE and ProTools more Memory allocation (DAE at least 40MB).

Use two partitions, one for your System and the other for your Audio work.

Good luck, Jeff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isolating Extensions/Control Panels helps as well. Here's my OS 9.1 list. http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...&f=24&t=007933

PT's has been rock solid on this (and similar, Older OS) setup since 4.1.1 (to those who remember, don't you miss the T.C. Ruler??)

Just my $.02