Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Default DSM a creative tool for mastering

I've discover this amazing tool http://www.proaudiodsp.com/products/dsm/
that in my mastering chain has definitively replaced the OXF Limiter.
It is the new toy designed by Paul Frindle (ex Sony OXF chief designer).
It has innovative features based on a multicomp with an almost infinite freq stage of compression that allow to capture the spectral curve from an existing programme and to re-apply it on other materials.
It is very good as de esser also on single channel and has the the ability to change the character of the sound. Actually the only downside is to be RTAS only, but it's well CPU optimized, at least on my mac (2.66).
I'm curious if someone out there is using it or tried it.
I've found it amazing and now I can't live without it.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Re: DSM a creative tool for mastering

yes, it's amazing and unlike anything else.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM

I find it very cool on the lead vocal track. It puts the voice in my face. It is fine on the drum bus also. It rises the average level by preserving the vibe. Amazing.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Great on master buss, very clean and effective !!!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Well...may be it's cool and great plugin.
But the price is overpriced for RTAS only plugin. I mean for $400 (GBP 200) you can buy:

Massey L-2007 $89 -full HD,TDM,RTAS AS support.
McDSP MC2000 Multiband Compressor $200 (eBay regular price) - full HD TDM,RTAS, AS support

And you still have left $111!

For which you can purchase Tape saturation plugin from Masssey TDM,RTAS,AS and Smack!! TDM or RTAS

I am sorry but for the new company on the market it's not that modest start. Let it go for $80 and I probably buy it or if they add TDM support for $150

Today with incredible variety of plugins and the reality of stable second hand market, it becomes harder and harder to survive for manufactures. But the competition is a good thing in the end.
I am not saying that this plugin doesn't worth the money. I just would think 3 or 4 times before I'd purchase it for that price.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Have you actually tried this plugin? IMO, it is well worth the price. On sonics alone, it stands above many plugins and its concept and usefulness are unique and worth looking into. It's a spectral matching EQ (of sorts), multiband compressor, and brickwall limiter all in one, designed by the guy responsible for the Oxford console/processors/plugins. I'd say that's worth $400.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 AM

All of those other plug-ins you listed are great, but none of them do what this plug-in does. It may appear to be a typical multiband compressor, but it isn't. It's way deeper than that and much better sounding. There is some very complex stuff going on under the hood that allows it to do what it does. This plug-in is truly unique. With all of the plug-ins coming out that are vintage gear emulations, it's refreshing to see someone come out with a new idea and execute it so well. When my demo expires in a week I will definitely be buying it. It's a must-have for me and I don't think $400 is overpriced for the quality of this plug-in.

Do yourself a favor and read Paul Frindle's post on this thread (the first post on the page). He explains the design of the plug-in and how it goes about doing what it does far better than I can. Then go try the demo. I'd be surprised if you aren't impressed.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM

What you can do with this plug on the vocal track it's very amazing. Before I used to insert at least 1 eq and 1 comp. Now with the DSM I have everything I need for treating the vocal and for having it in my face.