Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2009, 07:09 AM

Default since PT8 cs2, soundmanager output is MUTED

My normal workflow (for as long as I can rememebr) has been to use the analog outs of the mac to an analog input pair on a 192 to monitor iTunes and mac system sound ---

SINCE upgrading to PT8cs2, the OS soundmanager prefs has the output MUTED and greyed out in the preference control panel. ???????

This is a new "feature" since cs2.

If I quit PT, then launch iTunes, the Digi coreaudio will trap iTunes and route to the 192 (although it doesn't sound right at all -- but we can talk about that later...)

I searched for soundmanager, coreaudio, itunes, cs2 -- did not find any discussions on this. Has anyone seen this?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

OS 10.5.6
PT8HD cs2
G5 2.7dp
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Re: since PT8 cs2, soundmanager output is MUTED

is the digicore audio your hardware for system sounds?
if yes , it cannot work , check which hardware is used and if
necessary change to the mac hardware...

regards
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM

peterle, thanks for the suggestion.

Isn't there a way to set it to analog out if PT is running, and digi hardware if PT is not running? That's how it's worked for me for years and years.

Digi: did you guys change anything here?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 AM

yes, if in the Audio MIDI setup or Sound Control Panel, you set the Input and Output to a device other than Digi Hardware, it should work. I use a MOTU Traveler to do this and it has worked but since upgrading to Leopard and PT 8 I too have a hard time getting it to work consistantly. For instance, I can get it to play sound in iTunes but when I launch a online Quicktime or even a Quicktime on my computer, it clicks but no sound comes out. This is even with Pro Tools turned off. I think this may be a Mac OS Leopard issue since the Digi Core audio is not even involved if you route to other hardware...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 AM

I managed to solve part of this -- in AMS, if I set audio to analog line out, then things will work as expected, EXCEPT if PT is not running, then audio will not get picked up by digi coreaudio.

Things have changed since 10.4.x and PT 7.3.x -- and not for the better. :-(

Digi -- please comment???
Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Avid

We didn't change anything and your description of what's occurring is confusing.

Core Audio is single client only - and if Pro Tools is running, Core Audio through Digi hardware is not available.

If you're trying to get the Mac sounds through your 192 while Pro Tools is running, then setting AMS or your Sound control panel (same thing, essentially) to go out the analog outputs of the Mac is what you should choose.

If you want to play Mac sounds (or iTunes, etc) through Digi HW while Pro Tools is NOT launched, then you should select Digi HW in the Sound control panel.

Does that help at all?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We didn't change anything and your description of what's occurring is confusing.

Core Audio is single client only - and if Pro Tools is running, Core Audio through Digi hardware is not available.

If you're trying to get the Mac sounds through your 192 while Pro Tools is running, then setting AMS or your Sound control panel (same thing, essentially) to go out the analog outputs of the Mac is what you should choose.

If you want to play Mac sounds (or iTunes, etc) through Digi HW while Pro Tools is NOT launched, then you should select Digi HW in the Sound control panel.

Does that help at all?
:-(

Not really.

OLD = OS 10.4.11, PT 7.3.1 cs something on a G5/2.7DP
New = OS 10.5.6, PT8.0 cs2 on the same G5

OLD: If PT was running, audio from iTunes would be on the analog out. Aux into 192 line ins. Happy. If PT was not running, iTunes (and all mac OS system output, including browsers, mail, quicktime, but NOT iChat) would route to Digi coreaudio. Again, Happy.

New: Whatever the sound output setting in AMS/SOund control panel is set to IS where audio will route, regardless of state of PT (with the obvious single client/if PT is running it can't route there). NEW: If PT is running and Digicoreaudio is set as output, iTunes will be dead. Nothing out of the mac, AND once PT launches, there is no way to CHANGE sound output to something else - it's now frozen.

The difference is that it used to be somewhat intelligent (it reverted to analog out if PT was running), and now it's beyond stupid.

Digi must assume that if PT is running, we want the output from iTunes and the mac system to go somewhere -- but we're locked out.

Something DEFINITELY changed from 7.3.x and OS 10.4.x to the now latest and greatest. I have OS 10.4.11/PT7.3 sitting on an external hard drive and I'll fire it up and see the exact settings and report back.

Surely, others must have enjoyed the simplicity of the "old" way and are wondering why it had to change???