Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2000, 12:59 AM

Default Re-notification?

I doesn't really appear that PTF is ready for prime time. Would it be possible to re-notify those who asked to be told it was available when it also works?

At this juncture I've lost interest and have been left with a very poor first impression of digi. Nothing else I've looked at has come even close in that regard but I would be willing to try again in a couple of months when things are worked out and only a few folks are having problems.

I don't really want it for free but rather to see why people have been long willing to pay so much for it so that I can decide first hand if it is worth it to me. You can imagine where that stands now.

Sincerely,

Bob
Old 10-28-2000, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Re-notification?

Bob,
Sorry you had such a bad experience. But I'm still waiting for Logitech to write some decent drivers so I can use my Marble trackball on a G4.
Digi is first and foremost a Mac company as Logitech is a pc company.
In time all will balance out for software issues I'm sure.

Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 10-29-2000, 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MacDaddy WGAR:
Digi is first and foremost a Mac company as Logitech is a pc company.

Others have said the same thing, and as a Wintel user, I'm not sure how to take that.

I have NO problem whatsoever with companies that make their product available for only one platform or the other, but offering both and using the "Mac-centric" argument when it doesn't work under Windows strikes me as a cop-out.

I'm an audio guy. If I tell a producer that I can do camera too, and (s)he puts me behind a camera, it would be a cop-out for me to say "Sorry I blew that shot, but I'm really just an audio guy." If that's the case, I had no business being behind the camera in the first place. If I want camera gigs, I better be able to do it and not make excuses.

If Digi had stayed Mac-only we wouldn't be having this discussion. They didn't though. If they're going to offer products for Windows, I think it's fair and reasonable to expect them to work, and unreasonable to make platform expertise excuses. Expecting anything less fosters mediocrity.
Old 10-31-2000, 12:58 AM

Bob,
It'll just take time. Every company has there strengths and weaknesses
A great argument is Word 6 for Mac. It sucked! 5.1 was wonderful and then it became bloated and unstable under 6. They learned the error of their ways and Word 98 became great again! And that is from a Microsoft who had been doing mac products for many years! And the read me states many different times it may not work on your setup but hey it is free.
So I think you can make an argument to a point. Also if you search this forum there are a few success stories and some tips on how they did it.
That's my opinion.

Bill
Cleveland, OH