Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Multichannel DVD sound thru PT HD?

Hi folks,.
Today I was wondering how to listen to multichannel DVD sound on our PT HD system and I realized I can't. The DVD player (the only app. that I have to play DVD on the G4 do not have AC3/DTS decoding built in . Assuming that the Digi Core Audio driver would let it happen, is there any other app that I can use to do this? or I have to BUY a PC for this? ;-)

®®
Old 02-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Multichannel DVD sound thru PT HD?

How is a PC going to help you? Most PC's don't have built-in AC3/DTS decoding either, unless you buy some third party h/w and s/w.

Because Apple killed the third party DVD market for Macintosh by including their own player with X, I doubt you will see one anytime soon.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 AM

I've been puzzling with a similar issue. I want to set up my room for surround mixing, since I have several opportunities to work in the format on the horizon. Right now I'm using the Coleman Audio M3 for stereo monitoring and it works great. They make a surround version as well, but it only has the 6 inputs for the PT surround outputs. What if I want to listen to a DVDa for reference? Can't do it. There are no external inputs on the box. So All I can do is listen to the outputs of Pro Tools. No CD Player, no Dat, no DTS decoder for DVD playback. Nothing. Just 6 inputs for 5.1 playback from Pro Tools.

The only things I have found that could work are home theater recievers and I'm not wild about going that route. I think the sound would be too colored to be useful in a mix setting. Most of them don't even have +4 inputs for Pro Tools or +4 outputs to the power amps or powered speakers. They assume you will be using the internal amps in the unit.

I know that Control 24 and Pro Control have the abiltiy to mix in 5.1, but as far as I know, they don't have inputs or DTS/Dolby decoding built in that would allow for playback of commercial DVDa releases.

Add to this the FACT that there are several surround formats. so 6 channels may not be enough for all surround projects! What if you buy the set-up for 5.1, then need to do a 6.1 or 7.1 project? You would have to start all over again. I wouldn't be happy about that!

Maybe I'm making this harder than it really has to be. If you can shed some light, please do.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
How is a PC going to help you? Most PC's don't have built-in AC3/DTS decoding either, unless you buy some third party h/w and s/w.

Because Apple killed the third party DVD market for Macintosh by including their own player with X, I doubt you will see one anytime soon.
I think you preety much answered your own question!
I'm talking about buying a PC plus a software app like PowerDVD or similar. Is there any other app besides DVD player for Macs to play DVD? As you said, because DVD player exists, apparently there's nothing else in the marker. And then,you need a PC, or a good DVD hardware player, of course.
The point is: We already have very nice D/A conversion (192I/O), plus connection from the Mac to the Projector by DVI port( DVD looks amazing ), and a nice interface. It's a pity not being able to watch DVDs with this system because of the AUDIO limitation of DVD player.
Then Apple tells us how important is for them the music, video, movie and multimedia scene, but then fails to provide a decent solutiion. (decent in 2004=more than two channels sound on movie watching).
Then again the U$1000 PC notebook of my wife can play a DVD with Dolby Headphones. My 3K powerbook can NOT. Keep the good work, "multimedia hub" Apple.
cheers

Ric
Old 02-10-2004, 10:21 AM

to be honest the cheapest and most direct way is to play back through a standard DVD player hooked to a surround capable receiver and a set of 5.1 speakers. there are relatively cheap surround output cards for the Mac and OS X support surround output through it's digital out on a G5, and there may be utilities that can decode the AC3 files on a DVD and play them through the outputs, but I do not know specifics.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:52 PM

I researched this too a while ago...
Not exactly what you want..and you may know this, but
They will let you send AC3 in 5.1 or whatever on the spdif output of a G5.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86438
explains it partially
A cheap decoder patched back in to the inputs of PTHD will kinda let you do what you want.
I would guess a rewire app/plugin/patch for this is also possible...or even likely
in a galaxy not too far away...
dos centavos
jtm
Old 02-15-2004, 11:45 PM

It's cheaper just to buy an $150 DVD player off the shelf with individual outs, and a level shifter. Most of the DVDA capable DVD players have individual analog outputs.

Plus, you can then watch a DVD while your computer is busy!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It's cheaper just to buy an $150 DVD player off the shelf with individual outs, and a level shifter. Most of the DVDA capable DVD players have individual analog outputs.
Actually, ALL DVD-A capable players have analog outs, because copyright issues prevent manufacturers from digitally outputting hi-rez audio from their DVD-A players.

I highly recommend the Denon DVD-2900. Extremely high quality analog signal path, Burr-Brown 192k converters, bass management capable, $800 street. Plus, the DVD-V output is very sweet to boot! Sure, it's unbalanced out, but that's what soldering irons are for. Plus, the 192 i/o does have -10dBv inputs. It's really a non-issue. If you really need balanced outputs, you can spend a LOT more and get it. In fact, you can buy surround receivers with balanced outs, and any of these units are built to standards well beyond many "professional" audio components.

There are other less expensive units on the market: Denon's own DVD-2200 is also highly rated. Samsung makes a pretty decent unit for a buck twenty-five!

At any rate, the easiest solution is to buy a DVD-A player, and route its outputs back into PT via the 192 I/O Unbalanced ins: FWIW.