Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2003, 06:41 PM

Default Re: NOW I\'M IN TOTAL HELL!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Schizo...have you tried all the things the other guys posted to you? It might not be a card or ribbon....You should try those things as well if your situation does not improve.Good luck!
Old 04-30-2003, 08:11 PM

YO Everybody!!!

Well, I zapped the PRAM and trashed all the DAE prefs. and the PT prefs.

And I also put my ATTO and Cheetah 9 gig back in, and copied the sessions that were on my main HD to the Cheetah.

Guess what ? I've played probably 20 different sessions for over a 2 hour period WITH NO FREEZES!!
I've even record engaged 24 tracks at once, and let it go for 10 minutes. Again, no freezes.

NADA!! NONE !!! YEAH !!!!!

I really think the Digi guy who posted was right in saying that the audio should always be on a seperate drive. It could have been the zapped PRAM or trashed prefs. That fixed things, but my gut tells me the drive allocation was a problem.

I did get one message that said to increase the "buffer size" , so I switched from 512 default to the 2000 range.

This really gives me confidence that it really was a bad TDM ribbon cable causing the freezing when both Mix Cards were in.

New cable shows up tomorrow. Will post results right away !!

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR TIME !!!!

HOPE I CAN HELP ONE OF YOU SOMETIME
Old 05-01-2003, 09:24 PM

OK FOLKS, HERE's THE NEW SCOOP:

Got the new TDM cable, plugged in 2 nodes connecting Mix Core to Mix Farm (inside the G4).

At first, Digitest did not see the Mix Core. So I switched to 2 more Nodes and then it sees both cards. Then I run the Digitest and both cards PASS. So I run Digitest 10 more times after restarting 10 more times, and BOTH CARDS PASS EVERY TIME!

So now I load in some sessions and playback goes smoothly for over 1 hour. Then I record engage some tracks and recording goes smoothly for 30 minutes. Then I load in a BIG sessions (32 tracks, with few plug-ins) and LOOP IT, take a walk to Burger King and when I return it's still going fine!!

So now I think YEAH!! I whipped this thing. I turn off the G4, lift it from the floor back to my desk and power it back on. Now Digitest CANNOT SEE THE MIX CORE CARD!!! I open the G4 door to see if the cards are seated right, and THEY ARE JUST LIKE THEY WERE BEFORE!!!

So now I trash the PREFS again, reset the CUDA SWITCH, and ZAP THE PRAM on startup again. Digitest STILL CAN'T SEE THE MIX CORE!! I open Pro Tools and soon after a "-11 TYPE ERROR" occurs and the CPU freezes. PULL THE PLUG!!!!!!!!

So I trash ALL PT software and extensions, and re-install. STILL THE SAME CRAP -- NO MIX CORE shows up in Digitest and the little red and green lights are not lighting up on the Mix cards!!!

IT's LOOKING LIKE THE WORST HERE!!

So I pull the cards out and plug them back into my old 9600 CPU. When I start it up THE LITTLE RED AND GREEN LIGHTS COME ON when the Digi INIT extension loads in. What the *uck ??!!!!!!!

Now Digitest sees both Mix Core and Mix Farm, but THEY BOTH FAIL THE TEST !!! I restart the CPU 10 times and run the test 10 more times, and EVERY TIME THEY BOTH FAIL !!! I reset the CUDA switch, ZAP the PRAM, and trash all PT preferences -- NO MATTER WHAT I DO THEY KEEP FAILING THE DIGITEST.

So I load in another session and loop it, then go for another walk to Dunkin Donuts. I show up a full 1 hour later and GUESS WHAT ? It's still playing and NO FREEZES. The cards FAIL THE DIGITEST in the 9600, but they will play a session for over 1 hour with no freezes ??

I'M GOING INSANE, AND WILL NEED PSYCHOTHERAPY AFTER THIS CRAP!

So now I remember a post that said to MAX OUT THE DSP of a session with plug-ins to test the cards. The dude said that IF YOU CAN MAX OUT THE PLUG-INS IN A SESSION WITHOUT ERRORS, THEN IT'S PROBABLY NOT THE CARDS. So I start applying 6 band Rennaisance EQ's to about 8 channels. I'm able to apply 8 of these, one La2a plug-in, one 6 tap SuperTap, and one Realverb plug-in -- BUT WHEN I TRY TO APPLY AN Amp Farm Plug-in, I GET THIS NASTY JOLT OF SOUND I'VE HEARD BEFORE AND PRO TOOLS FREEZES AGAIN!!! THE LITTLE HAND COMES UP WIGGLING IT'S OMINOUS FINGERS AT ME, AND THEN I GET THE DREADED "-11 TYPE ERROR MESSAGE."

AFTER THIS, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I RESTART AND RESET THE CUDA SWITCH, DIGITEST WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE MIX CORE CARD -- IT ONLY SEES THE MIX FARM.

So, after all this depressing madness, it appears that the worst case scenario has prevailed. IT ABSOLUTELY MUST BE A PROBLEM WITH THE MIX CORE CARD, OR PERHAPS EVEN BOTH MIX CARDS. The fact that they failed the Digitest while in the 9600 so consistently, tells me that something must be wrong with them. And when I tried to use the DSP on them, that's when the freeze was summoned to occur.

If anybody can think of anything I haven't mentioned here PLEASE REPLY. I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR THOUGHTS AND AM GRATEFUL FOR ANY OF YOUR ADVICE!!!

I guess it's just time to buy some Everclear 190 proof, phone up some swanky call girls, and GET THAT Digi RA NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:41 AM

bump**
Old 05-02-2003, 11:44 AM

bump 2 **
Old 05-09-2003, 07:21 AM

Ok,
I am no music guru but I do know computers inside out and this sounds like hardware for sure!!!!!!
To me your processor on the mix card is @ucked, simple as that. ITS HARDWARE, SORY.

Ribbons rarely have problems and from 20 years of messing with them, its not that, so count it out. So many here blame the ridiculous.

Digi have hassles with thier gear so accept the fact you have a bad card and fix it.

I appologize for being blunt but I have been done over by bad hardware toooooo many times to spend time ****ing around with fixes that cause you to spend more time looking than is needed.
Too many girlfriends hate me cause of these hassles.
It is hardware to me, digi is not perfect, change the card and vuola'

Mail me if you have hassles.

I sound pissed and probably should be ready to be ready to be flamed, well digi has alot to answer for. I should be writting thier preogrammes!

Nuff said, I have had to fight Digi with stuffed hardware and after 3 hours on the phone, the cards are ****ed,,,

DUH

Sorry,
Mail me if Digi cant fix it and I will help you.

AJ
Old 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM

... i agree... it sounds like hardware.

Maybe try pulling all the cards out... SCSI cards... whatever, and one at a time, try each Digi card... may help you narrow it down.