Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 AM

Default AMD Ryzen 9 vs Intel i9

Hi!
A my friend want to buy a Cpu Ryzen 9 3950X (16 core 64 MB total L3 cache). Essentialy for use with PT (he uses many... many plugins).
I advised him to buy an Intel i9-9900k processor... I bought the same processor and my pc works without problems.

What do you think?
Old 12-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Default Re: AMD Ryzen 9 vs Intel i9

The Ryzen is a nice processor and many use them successfully with PT, but I typically lean towards Intel when buying a processor for my DAW.
Mainly because motherboard support is usually better, the Intel chipsets are supported better. And, if you want things like Thunderbolt, you can't find an AMD board that supports it (at least when I last checked).

Performance wise, I don't think going one way or the other will gain you much. It's more important to spec out a system for what you plan to use it for. Either one will get you there in that case.

System Details
Old 12-10-2019, 03:12 AM

Thansk, junkgear!
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 AM

Hi, junkgear!
In your opinion, is an i9-9900k processor enough powerful to work well with pro tools?
Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM

The i9-9900k processor is a stone cold killer with Pro Tools Ultimate @32 buffer, with Vanilla Pro Tools it's a no-brainer. I'm running 64 Gb of DDR4 3200 and a 1 TB NVMe drive for the OS, 8 Tb spinner for storage, no issues.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:34 AM

I have a 3950x Pro tools machine and it's an absolute monster. Well worth the investment. Using with with an x570 taichi mobo and 32 gb of 3600 ddr4.. It flies

The only issues I have encountered are all jus pro tools' horrendous optimisation / code for Windows.. No multi monitor support.. Unmovable Title bars that waste about 4 inches of screen real estate.. Weird cpu core utilisation..

I'd go Intel and make a hackintosh if these things will irritate you. I've wasted hours tryna find a fix and am holding out for the UI redesign in 2021 to fix some of the issues with windows tools.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:42 AM

AMD Ryzen 9 all the way.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Victory View Post
I have a 3950x Pro tools machine and it's an absolute monster. Well worth the investment. Using with with an x570 taichi mobo and 32 gb of 3600 ddr4.. It flies

The only issues I have encountered are all jus pro tools' horrendous optimisation / code for Windows.. No multi monitor support.. Unmovable Title bars that waste about 4 inches of screen real estate.. Weird cpu core utilisation..

I'd go Intel and make a hackintosh if these things will irritate you. I've wasted hours tryna find a fix and am holding out for the UI redesign in 2021 to fix some of the issues with windows tools.
Do you use iZotope RX Advanced by chance? I have a 3950X system and the Dialogue Isolate plugin included in that bundle literally turns my entire computer off when it is processing. This is, of course, with Precision Boost Overdrive active and hyperthreading enabled. For the last few days I've been using Process Lasso in conjunction with Pro Tools and have disabled hyperthreading just for Pro Tools, and I am also limiting its CPU use to cores on my first CCX (threads 0-15) to avoid inter-core latency. These things seem to have stabilized PT with Ryzen.

It would be amazing to see a modernized Pro Tools in Windows 10 that has a proper user interface that doesn't looks like it's from Windows Vista, working DPI scaling, proper CPU utilization, and load scheduling. IMO it's more important now than ever if Avid is going to have a hard time making PT work on Apple Silicon which I'm guessing will be the case. Windows could end up being the only option for PT soon, if we are talking about currently sold new computers.

So yeah, until the Windows version of PT is modernized, Intel makes more sense unless you want to micromanage your CPU resources like I do.