Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Gear insurance?

Just remember that insurance companies will do everything possible to not pay a claim, so make sure that it is very clear and in your policy what the equipment is and that you'll be renting it to other people that are at other locations and not under your direct control. You will possibly need some type of commercial/business policy for this.

I have a Fireman's Fund musical instrument policy which provides floater coverage (away from my home), but I doubt you would be covered when you have rented it to someone else.

Also, you could call some of the big equipment rental firms to see who they use.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Also, you could call some of the big equipment rental firms to see who they use.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, when it comes to expensive gear, big rental houses a lot of times wont rent out that gear unless the renter has there own insurance.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:12 PM

I just switched my insurance to a much more intensive policy. I go thru United Agencies, Inc. in Los Angeles. I've got the same rig as you (HD3, Sync, 192 x3) and rent it out all the time. To cover all of my studio equipment, all of my rental equipment, liability, theft, fire, basically cover anything and everything that's in my studio, it cost about $4000. Not cheap but like I said, I am covered for anything.

Read the fine print in any policy you get. Look for "Illegal Conversion". As I understand it, if your insurance company won't cover illegal conversion, your rental clients can steal your gear and you won't be covered. Basically, they are covering their ass against insurance fraud but that doesn't help you out when you rent gear. READ THE FINE PRINT!

The one thing about United Agencies that does suck is that they take their sweet ass time in getting back to you and processing your account. It took a month to finally get the coverage I wanted. But after all that, I am happy with my policy.

Good luck
Shawn