Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Building a new PC need advice on components please

Hi everyone, i'm building a new music PC and i've been out of the loop on on components for a while. I'm gonna use my existing case, and may use my current graphics card (Nvidia 6600 256Mb) so could i get some recommendations for CPU, Motherboard, Memory, and Hard drives.
I'll be running Pro Tools 6.9 (will probably upgrade to 7), with lots of effects processors (compressors, reverbs, EQ etc.)
I mainly mix, but i do use virtual instruments like BFD.

Here's what i have at the moment.

CPU:
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, so i'm after a dual core system. Is Pro Tools LE compatible with dual core yet?
I've been looking at the new AMD AM2 chips, but a bit concerned that i can only get a 1Mb cache. I'd ideally want 2mb. I've also heard that the new Intel dual core chips are the top performers. What do you think?
I'll ideally be looking at around X2 4400+ or Intel equivilant.

Motherboard:
At the moment i use an MSI K8MM.
I've no idea about motherboards at the moment, but i know i need USB2, Firewire 800, at least 2 SATA (2), 2 IDE, ethernet, and support for a large amount of RAM.

Memory:
I currently use Geil memory and i have 1GB, but looking at getting 2GB. I'll need some good quality RAM as i want this system to be pretty powerfull and last for a while before upgrading again.

Hard drives:
I currently use 2 x 200GB SATA Seagate Barracudas, which are good. I may keep with these and get an external Lacie D2 drive for my audio. Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Building a new PC need advice on components please

bobtastic

Welcome to the forums, you might try posting this in this thread to get more feedback on the new box. Goodluck
Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Building a new PC need advice on components please

You need not post at all as there are 2 sticky threads devoted to this very question. Look under the Windows section and read page 1 of the "Bets desktops..." and read a few pages of the "Quad..." thread.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave