Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2002, 03:49 AM

Default Digi001 hardware, and PTLE software upgrade?What do you think???

Hi all

Just wondering if we ever will see any exspansion unit(s) for the digi001, and maybe higher trackcount (and so on) in PTLE.
I feel Digi001 users are more and more falling behind other users on the same level, who is using other hardware. Just look at MOTU´s new exspandable 896 interface, or any other developer of audio interfaces. They nearly all support stacking of units for multiple ins and outs. And their software almost never have a tracklimit.
What is this?
Are Digidesign afraid that their 24mix and the new HD wont sell, if Digi001 got serious upgraded, or what?
This should be discussed at Digi since Digi001 users are a really big customer group!
Whats your oppinion?

Pindebraende [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Mikkel
Sonic Salute SFX Libraries
IMDB
Old 02-23-2002, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Digi001 hardware, and PTLE software upgrade?What do you think???

What do ya want for $800?
Old 02-23-2002, 05:32 AM

Hi there
I did not mention anything about not paying for software upgrades or new interfaces, did I??????

Pindebraende

Mikkel
IMDB
Old 02-23-2002, 08:04 AM

I don't think that LE software will be expanded beyond 24 tracks. Especially since ProTools HD tops out at 24 tracks also when operating at 192khz.

peace
Everything That's Fly
Old 02-23-2002, 09:55 AM

This has been disscussed like crazy already. No matter how much people have ranted or complained, Digi hasn't budged. I've had the 001 for almost 2 years now. I remeber coming on to the DUC back then and seeing petions all over the place to have Digi place th SMPTE ruler back and other so called missing features. Guess what, nothings happened since then and i don't expect it to change now.
I really believe if you want what your talking about, you'll need to move to a MOTU system. I remember thinking that we won't see anything from digi till their competitors in this market really started showing up. Well since then motu has come out with DP v3.0, Firewire (828 then 896), Altivec/Duel P and now they support 3rd part dsp cards like the AUD. Still nothing from DIGI but a 2 channel USB Mbox. I've seen enough rants along this line to know it's not going to get you anywhere. Your only choice is to change over or not get the 001 in the first place.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:40 AM

There is an expansion unit-it's a mix system. Look at it this way. To buy DP and the interface costs about $2,000 plus another two thousand for the lastest mac-which you will need to get past 001 type performance. For a little more you can get a used mix core and an 888 and have RTAS plugs and some TDM plugs-and you can run it on an older machine. Add farm cards and there you go. Is it the best value? Who knows. That is the sixty four thousand dollar question. Depends on a lot of factors. I've been solicting opinions and everyone's got a different view of the best way to upgrade from an 001. I've had mine over two years. Last night I mixed a tune that I'd recorded at home in a die hard PT TDM studio. I asked the engineer what his advice was, fully expecting him to say "go with the mix" To my surprise, he said just what I am thinking "There's so much stuff out there, I don't have a clue" -he's going through the same process as he's shopping for his home rig. I wish digi would let us know about the 001's future, but they have said many times, they don't pre announce. Yet another piece of the pie to digest.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:01 PM

Thanks to all of you for your oppinion

Pindebraende

Mikkel
IMDB
Old 02-24-2002, 10:28 AM

Ya know, I just don't get all this griping about track count. I've had a Digi001/G4 867mHz system for a couple months now and before that I had a Cakewalk Pro Audio 9/PC setup for a long time. I've recorded tons of stuff for myself and for several other clients and I've NEVER had the need for a full 24 tracks! And I'm not just goofing around here either. I've done demos, full commercially released CD's, live recordings, rock, jazz, classical, etc. What are you people recording, symphony orchestras with each member close-miked? Sure, it's nice to have the OPTION to record as many tracks as you feel like, but are you REALLY going to need them EVERY TIME? Does it REALLY take a minimum of 32 tracks to record a garage band? I don't think so.

Just think, up until a few years ago you had to buy a $60,000+ 2-inch analog tape machine to get 24-tracks! Now we can get the same number in full digital for less than $1000!!!

And ya know all those Beatles records that everybody is so nuts about? How many tracks did they have again? I rest my case.

Let the insults begin.

Terry
Old 02-24-2002, 09:26 PM

As I said, it would be NICE for anyone to have as many tracks (or whatever else) they can dream up. But in the end, it's really just a number. OK, so let's say Digi comes up with a 32-track version of PTLE. How many people are then going to complain that it doesn't have 48, 64, 96, etc. It's a bigger number of tracks. Big deal. When the day comes that I all of a sudden HAVE to have more than 24-tracks, I'll whine like everybody else. But I'm not recording the next Yes CD, so I kinda doubt it in the forseeable future.

I've recorded everything I've ever engineered with way less than 20 tracks. Yes, I'm a professional and yes, I do make a partial living with my project studio (I'm also a musician). But I know my real estate. If 24-tracks is my ceiling, I make it sound great within those 24-tracks. I don't sit and complain that I don't have more, more, MORE!

I'm just saying if you're are in a position where you have a studio and you went with the Digi001 instead of a full-blown TDM system, it would seem another 8 or however many tracks would most likely being sitting empty most of time anyway. If I was in a position where I was constantly doing 64-track sessions (how, I can't imagine) I could probably afford a TDM. I'm not, so I make what I have work for me. Seems great so far. End of story.

Terry
Old 02-24-2002, 09:45 PM

I haven't replied to a good rant thread for a while, so I'll just chime in and out ASAP.

Like the old addage goes->
" <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>If pigs were wishes, pigs would fly<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"

The 24 track count limit isn't much of a issue for me, since I use tape alongside my AMIII.
I think probably the best things that could happen to "LE" would be:

1)- VST...Instruments and EFX (this would open up the UAD and PowerCore cards)

2)- Give us back the Time Code Ruler.

-that would suit me just fine.

Using analog, bouncing-down is more habit than inconvienance.

just my $.02