Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Video Satellite LE on a Mac G4 problems

Hey folks, I recently got Video Satellite LE 8.0.1, an MBox micro2 with PT LE 8.0.1cs1, and I'm trying to run it on a Mac G4. First I tried it on a dual 1 gig silver G4, and now I'm trying it on a mirror faced single processor 1.25 Gig G4. Both running 10.5.5. I'm using an Avid Mojo (the 1st version). The QTs I have tried are DVCPro with the Avid codec, and plain DVCPro. The problems I'm running into are; playback stopping with a CPU over run error(I'm running it at 85%, thats as high as it goes), and then when it does play, the pic is jerky, and it continues running for 3 secs after I hit stop. I know some people are running it successfully on their old G4s. How are you doing it? No other devices on the fire wire port, running video only on that system, no audio tracks or plugs. I currently have it networked with my main HD system, so I can use screen share and operate it from my main desktop with out a KVM switch.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Video Satellite LE on a Mac G4 problems

There are known issues with the playback of QT through the mojo's with PT 8.x. search the duc for this combination, you'll find more info
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't think it's the Mojo. Even if I disconnect the Mojo and just play the QT in the video window, I get the same problems. Besides, I think it's 8.0.3 that is having the QT problems. I'm running 8.0.1cs1.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 AM

I am surprised to hear that some are successful with one and I thought your title was a typo! I know DVCPro is popular, and Intel machines play them well, but PT8.0.1 totally sucks the life out of my G5/dual2.5 (HD system), to the point that I avoid working with anything bigger than 720x486. I'm only running an HD system, no direct experience with LE, but the generalities are the same. My old G4s were smoked by this G5, and now PT is bloated beyond them all. Have you tried good ol' standard def DV (640x480, 720x486)?

The run after stop thing is something I've seen when the system is so overwhelmed that it is right on the edge of error, with very jerky graphics and keyboard commands slow to process. MOJO will only make it worse not better. Anything you can do to keep processes efficient will help, like fast drives and no other apps running. Good luck, I'll be interested to know if you make it work well. I'm thinking of retiring this G5 to the same purpose but I have a feeling it would only disappoint me.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM

If I run the video in just QT, it runs perfectly. If I open it in PT LE and unplug the mojo, and just run in the video window, the video is jerky and does not stop immediately. I guess PT is hogging a lot of the CPU power. I'm thinking of getting a used G5 to run this, but I don't know if anything less than an Intel machine will do.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 AM

I would be surprised if a G4 can cope with PT8 and QT (I don't think it's a Digi qualified setup)

but even on an Intel Mac there is the problem you describe here: QT in QT player runs smoothly, but as soon as you play the same QT in PT it stutters

It's all been discussed in this thread:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=263230

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Productions View Post
If I run the video in just QT, it runs perfectly. If I open it in PT LE and unplug the mojo, and just run in the video window, the video is jerky and does not stop immediately. I guess PT is hogging a lot of the CPU power. I'm thinking of getting a used G5 to run this, but I don't know if anything less than an Intel machine will do.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a used G5 to run this, but I don't know if anything less than an Intel machine will do.
I would NOT purchase a G5 for this, because even if it happens to work well enough today (depending on your expectations) it will not tomorrow. Only Mac Pro's are qualified for PT8, why? Because PT8 performance became more sloth-like than any previous version, which has compromised QT playback more than ever. I don't know what has gone wrong with 8.0.3 that has caused trouble with even the fastest Intels, presumably that can get fixed, but Avid will not be looking backwards. You will not be happy with a Power PC G5, trust me.

This is progress?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 AM

PT 8.0.1 remains qualifies for G5s, surely? It can't have been de-qualified. I was using it very happily for several months on my G5 until a recent MP upgrade. Sure, one day soon VSLE will need to be beyond 8.0.1 to work with future versions of 8, but as of right now, I know many studios are running their retired G5s as VSLE machines.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM

get a mac Mini for Satellite LE. It's Intel and cheap.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
PT 8.0.1 remains qualifies for G5s, surely?
That's true. What I meant to say is PT8 with Video Satellite LE. Here is Avid's wording (at http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=36682):
Digidesign-qualified Mac-Pro system running Pro Tools LE 8 with Mbox Micro - Other Pro Tools LE peripherals have not been tested, but are not known to have any issues.

I'm sure people are using Satellites running on slower machines, people do all kinds of things! I'm trying to say that even if it works today you probably cannot upgrade, because bloat never seems to get smaller, so I question whether a PPC machine should be purchased for the use.

I'm sorry for my lack of clarity.