Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

[/QUOTE]I think your talking about Jamtime, His memery was simply mislabled and once it was replaced with the correct stuff he had smooth sailing from that point on. As long as it will run a @ 1066 with timings of 5-5-5-15 your fine. Why 2 videocards?

Supoosedly Digi fined tuned the RTAS engine a bit more for 7.3 I would upgrade to 7.3 because it has some good features.

[/QUOTE]

Correct. Jamtime he was.
Graphic card thing was a typo so there´s no need for 2 cards. I´m going with X1650. Thanks once again.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 PM

Well, should I build the 8-core or the 16 core.

...waiting for the Phenom though so we can use regular ram(cheaper).

Gotta love the CPU wars. I'd say the need for extra DSP cards are...um...

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
I'd say the need for extra DSP cards are...um...

Shane

GONE!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM

So should I build the rossi68 with 317 Dverbs or the sunburst? I'm building 2 machines and want rock solid stability. I need 2 duel head video cards for one of the machines. Is the first post still the most curent? I'm ready to build right now so any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Problems with Q6600 Build

I just assembled my new system with the following components:

Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5B MOBO
4 Gigs of CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
2x Western Digital 7200RPM Sata 3.0gb/sec Drives

Whenever I boot the system up I get the following error:

"Intel CPU uCode loading error"
"Press F1 to Resume"

After pressing F1, the computer proceeds to install Windows, I get this message:

"Setup is being restarted......................."

Then during the setup process the computer promptly shuts down without warning.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'm desperate!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all your hard work Sunburst !! It's a great source of info for people looking to build, and it looks like the numbers are starting to go through the roof !! (300+) I don't regret building early even though the P35 sets and 1066 mem. are smokin'. I've got more than enough power, and so far my system is rock-solid.
One small note regarding the results page....I ended up with 254 on the original dverb (look back on my post regarding starting a new session for each test). Not that it matters in the big picture...but might as well keep the results as accurate as possible

Thanks again for a great job
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Problems with Q6600 Build

Quote:

Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5B MOBO

"Press F1 to Resume"

After pressing F1, the computer proceeds to install Windows, I get this message:

Hopefully you seated the chip in the socket properly first and foremost. Do you have the heatsink properly fastened down? If its the stock heatsink you need to really push those pins in hard and you will sorta hear a click when they are fastened into place. You gotta do it 2 opposite pins at the same time. If you didn't get it right you have to redo and then you have to clean the cpu heatspreader thouroughly with 90% or higher rubbing alcohol and clean the grey pad thing off the heatsink and put on some ARCTIC SILVER 5 on the heatspreader(smooth metal side of the CPU chip). There is instructions on the ARCTIC SILVER 5 website for how you should apply it to a Quad chip.

P.S. If you are using the stock heatsink make sure thoase pins are facing the right direction, as per the instructions, and if they are facing the right direction then all you have to do is push them in 2 at a time from opposite sides.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5B MOBO

"Press F1 to Resume"

uCode is tech talk for microcode.

Since I've not seen this one I Googled your error (Great thing google is) and it looks like A) Your processor is not installed correctly or B) you need to update your BIOS.

You might want to check the version of your BIOS thats listed on the POST screen against the latest version from the ASUS website. If you not comfortable with flashing your BIOS I believe you can ship to ASUS's repair center and they will flash it or possiblly simply return the MoBo to the vender and exchange it for a newer board.

I know on some of the REALLY , REALLY old 975X boards you needed to install a regular socket 775 P4 to flash the BIOS to the later version that supported the newer Core 2 Processors and Quads If you didn't have a older P4 to flash the the BIOS then you had to send the board to to ASUS or have it flashed at a local computer shop that had a extra processor lying around. I would think your chances of getting a P965 board that old are extremely slim.

You might want to Google it a bit more.

EDIT :I Googled some more and everything I found tended to indicate that you need to update the BIOS. I have not had to do this yet so you will have to read the manual.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5B MOBO

"Press F1 to Resume"

Hopefully you seated the chip in the socket properly first and foremost. Do you have the heatsink properly fastened down? If its the stock heatsink you need to really push those pins in hard and you will sorta hear a click when they are fastened into place. You gotta do it 2 opposite pins at the same time. If you didn't get it right you have to redo and then you have to clean the cpu heatspreader thouroughly with 90% or higher rubbing alcohol and clean the grey pad thing off the heatsink and put on some ARCTIC SILVER 5 on the heatspreader(smooth metal side of the CPU chip). There is instructions on the ARCTIC SILVER 5 website for how you should apply it to a Quad chip.

P.S. If you are using the stock heatsink make sure thoase pins are facing the right direction, as per the instructions, and if they are facing the right direction then all you have to do is push them in 2 at a time from opposite sides.
Something tells me DJ is going to be our go to guy for heat sink problems

Very nice description of how to do it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, should I build the 8-core or the 16 core.

...waiting for the Phenom though so we can use regular ram(cheaper).

Gotta love the CPU wars. I'd say the need for extra DSP cards are...um...

Shane
Ahh 16 core! Then you can A) run 480 instances of Guitar Rig, Run Logic Via VMware and OSX86, rewire Logic to PT, Rewire Ableton to Logic, Rewire Reaper to PT. Rewire Cubase and Sonar to Reaper. Rewire Reaper to Reaper. Wrap Acoustic Piano 700 times. Run a web server. Download 9 things Via Bittorrent. convert HD video to DIVX. Convert DIVX to HD264, Convert HD264 back to HD. Post your exwifes honeymoon videos to YouTube. Concurrently offline bounce several sessions, make coffee, and the big one..... run Strike with no CPU errors

All at once.

I missed something didn't I

Can't remember what though

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page