Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Question Slate VCC

Tyring to wrap my head around this plug in. seems like there is a lot options for setting it up. Does any one know when you set it up in several groups can you put the mix buss on each groups? What I mean is i am using the dangerous d box so if i set up say gtrs group 1 and out 1&2 make an aux channel and send everything in hat group the aux with the mix buss pat of the plug in there for groupe one then say drums are in group 2 3&4 out and do the same there with aux mix buss plug in on the aux set for group2? Is this how that works
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Question Slate VCC

Couple different ways to do it. What I have started to do lately is this

Make Master faders for your stems (more headroom and they act like VCAs)
Put an instance of VCC on the master faders and make those outs go to your dangerous

so...

1/2 - Drums
3/4 - Guitars
5/6 - Guitars
etc.....

By putting VCC on the Master faders only, the outs are pushing thru VCC and into the system. Bring the AUX track in and then print it back on an audio track. I use VTM and VCC on all my master faders and push out. Works well

WAY 2..... (old way)

VCC on all channels
VCC Mix Buss on AUX coming back in
assign the VCC mix buss sections (like a summing box)
Drums
Guitars
Vox
Bass
etc

The MIX Buss will then control all the instances of VCC. I prefer the master fader way as it only takes a few VCC instances versus a ton (at times)

You can sorta see it how I did a recent mix here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27186601

Sorta a psuedo Brauer method but I am pushing out to a lot of outboard as well.

Try it out... see what ya think

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Sounds like a good set up that way with the master fadrers going to the d box. Don't use the vcc on all channles? Juat the master faders and the VTM on the masters? Should I set it up VTM the VCC or VCC then VTM ? Many options to thinks about as far as routing.

As far as the signal chan it self shoult it be vcc then vtm or vice versa and then any eg comp after?

thanks for your feedback
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Not a D Box for me - 2 Buss, but no worries.

My setup for mixing bounces back and forth but recently it is

1/2 out of the Apogee DA-16X to 2 channels of my SSL and back to the 2 Buss - main mix type stuff
3/4 out to my Distressors and in - drums
5/6 out to my Meek, then Harrison 32s and in - guitars
7/8 out to my Brute compressors - vocals and shimmer stuff
9/10 - out to my API 527s (parallell comp for drums) - multi-out of drums to this master fader
11/12 - whatever I need - maybe hardware 1176s or something - depends
13/14
15/16 - FX

OUt of the dangerous to the other 2 channels of the SSL - into the Hammer and back into Pro Tools via the Benchmark DAC-1. On the aux track I strap the Clariphonic pug on it. (just sold the hardwre for the software - its that good)

The master faders I have VCC and VTM - I want to push the console thru the tape. Master faders are setup the same way as the outs to the 2 buss. No need to use them on all channels as the track outs go to the specific master faders and the plugs are on those. I can still strap whatever hardware or software I want on the tracks - and fine tune on the masters. Just make sure you watch the latency that the plugins introduce on the master faders

The other way I do things is the standard:
1/2 - Drums
3/4 - P Drums
5/6 - Guitars
7/8 - Guitars
9 - Bass
10 - Vocals
11/12 - Backups
13/14 - Keys and shimmer stuff
15/16 - FX

Just depends on the song. All my outboard is fully normalled so I can insert without patching a thing and go. 3 lynx auroras, the DA-16 nd an HD4 helps bring it all together

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Lots of options, I think i like that vcc then vtm just on the outs, save some cpu. One more question, doing it thatway i guess you really dont need the mix buss part of the vcc plug in? Or do you use the mix buss part of the plug in on the vcc?

here is what i am seeing, set up my master faders , different out puts to go into the d box. Put the vcc then VTP on them in that order. Do any eg compression on the individual tracks and then back in protools and record it to a stereo track.

Then Master the stereo track
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 AM

Fwiw I put VTM and then VCC on every channel (tape machine feeding the console). Then when I group something, like drums, I run them into an aux channel with VCC mix buss. Then I put VCC mix buss into a VTM on the master fader (console feeding a tape machine).

I'm looking for a dbox now to try some analog summing. My plan is to route everything. Similarly but have the auxes feed the dbox and then back into pro tools.

Also you do realize master fader inserts are post fader? So adjusting their faders affects the levels going into the plugs. Just something the consider. Auxes are pre fader.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Fwiw I put VTM and then VCC on every channel (tape machine feeding the console). Then when I group something, like drums, I run them into an aux channel with VCC mix buss. Then I put VCC mix buss into a VTM on the master fader (console feeding a tape machine).

I'm looking for a dbox now to try some analog summing. My plan is to route everything. Similarly but have the auxes feed the dbox and then back into pro tools.

Also you do realize master fader inserts are post fader? So adjusting their faders affects the levels going into the plugs. Just something the consider. Auxes are pre fader.
I do..... But I am not using anthing except VCC and VTM. No compression type plugs - and I am not automating the master faders at all. Really just used as a send. Aux's work fine too.

Monument Sound Facebook