Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Default AMD Turion ?

Hi there,

the compatibility specifications say that PT LE won't run on the AMD Turion and that's what I've experienced. As far as I've heard this CPU is a power consumption optimized version of the Athlon. So are there any workarounds like turning of those functions or other things to make PT run on Turion? Btw why doesn't Digidesign come up with a compatible version as many not too bad notebooks use Turion...... well same old story......

regards from Germany

Achim
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: AMD Turion ?

I feel your pain. I just sold my Turion laptop and bought a Core 2 Duo. Now the problem is that PT doesn't like Windows Media Center so I have done a fresh load of XP Pro. It was a hassle to get all the required drivers and such but Toshiba's website had most everything.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Avid

There isn't a way to disable the power saving features on Turion processors, which makes them incompatible with Pro Tools as those 'features' disrupt processes that Pro Tools requires to work properly.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Some years ago I spent many many nights tweaking my system, searching for ways to fix issues, it took half a year to get PT run properly and without duc it would have never. Now my old laptop crashed, I bought a new one, admittedly without going through compatibility pages. But why should I???? I bought a laptop - nothing exotic - meeting all my needs for a reasonable price. I don't know any software not running on it except PT. I'm tired of diving deeply into my system, wasting my time, having to deal with topics normally subject to computer experts. I want to record and make music, that's it. Rather than selling my new laptop I'll sell my MBox, there are tons of recording solutions on the market without all those issues. Ok, if running properly, PT is the best on the market. But what's the point in it if you first have to spend that much time to get it run, if you are limited to a certain number of CPU's, motherboards and what not.... bye bye PT.

Best regards

Achim
Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 AM

I completly agree with you , is the turion Processor that exotic? I know a tons of people that uses that processor. I used FW with some other equipment/hardware, never had problems!!!!

I just got a Digi 002 (LASt WEEK), I got an Acer with a Turion Processor, I spended 3 days in trying to find a way to go around the Buffer underflowed error (-6085)

If i dont find a intelligent work around with-in 48hours, sadly i will return the 002 and use another software.

How long would it take for Digidesign to produce a patch/workaround for Turions. Im am not changing my laptop since I work with it every single day.

PRO TOOLS LE 7.3 Digi 002 TURION

ACER FERRARI 4000

Windows® XP SP2 Professional; AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 (1MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz); 1GB (512/512) DDR333 SDRAM; 100GB hard drive; integrated DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive; 5-in-1 card reader; 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) TFT display; ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 graphics; 802.11b/g WLAN, Bluetooth®, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem

I Just Hope to Receive an Suggestion from DigiTECH

Regards

Rodrigo A. Gutierrez
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Avid

Quote:
How long would it take for Digidesign to produce a patch/workaround for Turions. Im am not changing my laptop since I work with it every single day.
It's not something that is possible with our current audio engine design. This is a limitation of the processor, not the software, at least in it's current state. Turion processors, along with Celerons and any other 'low end' processor just does not have the necessary functionality for Pro Tools to work reliably on them.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM

I know that this question might be delicate but: What about the audio engine design on the digi 003. will this issue be corrected

Regards

Rodrigo AG
Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Avid

It is extremely unlikely that this will change any time in the near future.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM

well after many hours of booting sequences pattern, I found a sequence that eliminated the buffer underflowed error.

1-Turning ON the digi 002 after Win/xp/ finished to boot
2-Disable WIFI
3-then Start ProTools LE 7.3

My new question is: can you refer me to a web site where I can download a demo session that solicitate a lot of horsepower from the Computer so I can validate the stability of the system.
I mean a really heavy session.

Thanks for your precious help

Rod
Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM

PT Performance - Davec I & Davec II Tests