Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM

Default Computer Freezes while loading Pro Tools

Hi,

I'm running a 2011 Mac Pro 8 core with an HD2 and PT9.0.2.

The system has run fine for around 4 months.

I opened it up last night and tried to boot Pro Tools - the grey screen with the "please restart your computer" thing happened twice, and Pro Tools never got past its loading screen. I went home.

This morning I switched on the computer, tried to open Pro Tools and the whole computer freezes on the "initialising hardware (DSI)" screen - that's the whole computer - mouse doesn't move, have to hold down the power button on the mac.

I've trashed databases and prefs. No difference.

I need to get this system going asap - please help!

C

- EDIT - Opening Digi-Core-Audio-Manager causes the same crash - Also worth noting that the crashes are moving between the grey screen 'of death' and straight freezes. I've unplugged everything connected to the computer, leaving only mouse+k/b, and DVI. I haven't yet removed the HD cards, but I will if no one has any suggestions.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Computer Freezes while loading Pro Tools

Hi,

Yes you need to strip the computer of all Pro Tools hardware and make sure things then boot ok!

Also try re-setting PRAM...

Resetting PRAM
Shut down the computer.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Once the computer boots ok with no hardware! try re-introducing just the core card and one interface. nothing else. see if it works now.

Let us know where you get to.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.