Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 04:19 PM

Default proper panther to tiger with clean tiger install

I have spent most of the day trying to do a clean install of tiger and pt6.9.2

I just got a dual 1.8 g5 that came preinstalled with panther, but included a tiger disk.

I wanted to have a partitioned system disk and a clean install of tiger.
I had to install panther so that I could install tiger
I had the tiger disk erase the partitioned hard drive before installing

After reading another person's post, I put in my PT6.4 TDM disk and installed that first.

I then downloaded the pt 6.9.1update (couldn't find original 6.9 if there was one) and installed that

I then downloaded the 6.9 to 6.9.2 file

I then tried to install and it wouldn't let me because 6.4 (or later) wasn't showing up

i can't run or authorize 6.4 because it doesn't work with tiger

I originally went through this process and thought I messed up somewhere or added an extra cs update

Regardless...
is there any possible way to do a clean install

currently i'm just reinstalling panther, and will try to get 6.9 up and running, and then I will install tiger, followed by 6.9.2

I hope this works

thanks

g5 dual 1.8
hd3 (non accell)
2.25 gigs of ram
192i/o
888/24
Old 07-03-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: proper panther to tiger with clean tiger install

Quote:
I have spent most of the day trying to do a clean install of tiger and pt6.9.2

I had to install panther so that I could install tiger...
You mean you can't boot off the tiger DVD?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:27 AM

You need a 6.7 or 6.9 installed for 6.9.2 to work, you need to buy an upgrade from 6.4.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:31 AM

You can install 6.7 on Tiger even though it won't run. You just need it to be on the drive to upgrade. So install 6.7 then use the updater to get to 6.9.2
Hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You can install 6.7 on Tiger even though it won't run. You just need it to be on the drive to upgrade. So install 6.7 then use the updater to get to 6.9.2
Hope this helps
Simon L.
This makes sense and does help....thanks...

The first time I went through the process, I must have done that 6.4 to 6.7 to 6.9 to 6.9.2, because it worked it started going, but it wasn't seeing a interface (read=I'm an idiot and the ribbon connectors were reversed from last computer) and wouldn't allow authorization stage.

The 2nd time I attempted, I only installed up to 6.4, because the read me documents were saying that only 6.4 needed to be seen, but I wasn't able to authorize it.

The most recent path I took, I upgraded through Panther, keeping (not doing an erase and install)...and I think I'm up and running, but haven't installed all plugs.

I wonder if there are any benefits to a clean install from tiger, I don't want to muck around with this for a couple years.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Have had two systems that have upgraded to Tiger, as opposed to a clean install. Both machines have permissions related problems, which are unrepairable. It has affected Logic Pro more than PT. The systems now both need to be erased, and installed from scratch.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 AM

I decided to do the "erase and install" with tiger to knock off panther...
However, I did have to go from 6.4 (the latest physical PT disk that I have), to 6.7, 6.9, to 6.9.2, to 6.9.2cs1.
Quite a process, but it works now

I couldn't start with 6.7 and didn't leave out 6.7.

But Tiger sure looks and feels great....I sure hope it performs, I fortunately or unfortunately find out soon enough
Old 07-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Startup from the Tiger DVD (or the CDs), format your drive with disk utility (zero all data is a good option). Partition the drive.

Install Tiger on one of the partitions, fresh or from an existing Panther partition ( I did the latter - which means that I tookover my existing user data from the panther drive).
When you are through the hassle of setting up your user account, repair permissions and restart.
Install PT 6.9, then install 6.9.2, then 6.9.2cs1. Make sure to follow the online instructions about restarting etc., repair permissions after every install.

Then buy a copy of Disk Warrior v3.0.3 (actually this is what to do first). Run this from CD or another partition and rebuild your drive (the one where PT resides).

This is what I did and its working fine here ever since.

Oliver
Old 07-08-2005, 09:09 PM

I'm having this same problem. I don't think that Digidesign has been here to respond to what appears to be a serious catch-22 with this Tiger 6.9.2 updater.

I'm doing the same thing- made a fresh partition, installed Tiger, did 10.4.1 and other Apple updates, installed Pro-Tools 6.7 from the CD that came with my Accel rig, updated it to 6.9.1, ran all the plug-in updaters I could find, then finally ran the 6.9 to 6.9.2 "web" installer.

It starts going then tells me that Pro Tools version 6.4 or higher must be installed for it to work. Despite my verbal insisting that it is installed, and even my visually pointing to the folder on the screen where it's installed, it does not listen.

I thought perhaps since Pro Tools had not been launched on this new installation that is why it doesn't know it's there. So I try to launch the 6.9.1 version, it gets pretty far but says it cannot find the hardware (which of course is connected and on and is just fine).

Right now I'm doing the slow process of making the 3.0.3 Diskwarrior CD so I can follow the advice given here, but I already tried to rebuild the catalog with another utility (Drive Genius) and that didn't help.

Perhaps there's some hidden file or preference file I can copy from my working 6.7 / 10.3.8 partition so the stupid updater will see that I have Pro Tools installed?

Perhaps Digidesign can fix the updater or provide instructions for the work-around?

Thanks for any help.

-Casey
Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 PM

Well, the Diskwarrior rebuild didn't help.

So, to make this nice and official for some DigiHelp, here's my system info:

HD3 Accel
1 - 192 I/O
Second Generation Dual 2.0ghz G5
OS 10.4.1
1.5 GB ram
Two internal SATA drives

System works fine on the 10.3.8 / 6.7 startup partition.

Thank you.