Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-03-2002, 01:14 AM

Default Quick MIDI question for those with workstation and modules..

Ok. This is a made up scenario not dissimilar from my current situation.

I only have a stereo pair out on my workstation, and a stereo pair out on my module. Module slaved off the workstation, slaved off of PT.(catch that?) My workstation has a built in 16 track sequencer. For my particular song I am using tracks 1-7 on the workstation. I have track 8 set up with a special sound on the module. Needing a quick playback of my stuff, I press play on the PT Transport bar. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Oh no, whats happeneing? It sounds different. Is that a flute I hear in there? I didnt record a flute. Oh, I see whats happening. Channal 8 of the workstation is playing even though I only am using 1-7.

To make a long story shorter, PT is spitting out MIDI data on Channal 8, all devices. Is there a way to set it so it will only play back what is on channal 8 on a specific device? In not, how do you others deal with this?

Also, what is the purpose of this device?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...etail/base_id/ 46884

youll have to copy and paste the link. I think its too big to work.

Thanks for the help in advance.
=-Ben
Old 10-03-2002, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Quick MIDI question for those with workstation and modules..

For what i can see its a midi-interface with built in mtc/smpte and smpte/mtc converter built in.

Looks nice if you need a lot of midi-ports....

Bastiaan
Old 10-03-2002, 08:21 AM

When you chain devices together like this both of them "hear" the data on all midi channels. If you don't want to hear channel 8 on the workstation then you need to turn it off by setting it that way however it works on your synth.

An easier solution is to buy a midi interface so that each unit has it's own Midi in and out from the computer. Then you can use ProTools to assign midi channels.

Casey
Old 10-03-2002, 08:30 AM

If your workstation allows it, some can be set to respond to internal midi, internal and external, external midi, or off. I imagine you've tried, but set it off. You would have to remember to do this everytime you loaded the session. I'm currently searching for information that would allow PTLE to send some kind of message that would do it automatically, so far to no avail.

The fast and dirty method is to create a program that makes no sound at all and use that in channel 8. Alternatively, you may have to make some kind of layer using both sound sources.

Otherwise, a multiport midi interface would work too, but that involves a purchase.

I'm looking for a solution to this problem also.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:47 AM

Amultiport interface much like the one I mentiouned above? No?

Thanks again for the help. I was thinking of making a "silent" patch to place on channel 8, but I couldnt decide which patch to overwrite...

=-CP.