Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-08-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: micing a drummer - mics to use, cost of mics and cables

you guys rock. thanks for an armful of wisdom.

i really appreciate all this info.

namaste [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 PM

"I was really happy with the sound of everything except the snare top, and that may just be that the snare drum itself had a kind of hollow, ringing sound. Maybe it was tuned a little tight? However, the underside got a nice crack to it from the snare. And the overheads seemed to do alright on their own."

That's why I say, the 3 mics are what you need to carry the drum sound. In my case, I rely on the overheads alone to be the snare mic and the "compressor" of the the entire kit. I do use the other 4 mics I put up, but all the tone and balance is carried by the overheads. The kick mic is there to fill in the bottom. My overhead snare sound is as good as I could want, and significantly more appealing than the close up mic which doesn't hear the drum the way a listener does. Even a bad room and some mics that aren't crammed onto the drums can be better for micing with overheads. I have a far from ideal drywall box of a room that somehow works out well enough, and the overheads are the heroes of the drum mix.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:03 PM

I A/B'd the NT4 and NT5 to several of my fav combinations, including the Shure VP88, 414's etc, and found it to ber pretty useless. It's harsh, brittle sounding highs were painful, and it's lack of real lows made getting a realistic kit sound impossible. I at first thought the mic was faulty, and returned it for another, only to get the same results.

IMHO, don't waste your money on one.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TAPKAE:
I am getting some damned hip sounds out of a Digimax 96, a Sennheiser 421 in the kick and a pair of NT5s overhead. Don't let anyone tell you you can't get a good tone out of 3 mics.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you have an mp3 of anything recording with this micing setup??? its hard to believe that a $300 overhead mic combo would do the job, so I'd be interested hear the results, if at all possible...

also, how are you positioning your nt5's ? are you using the Y-adaptor on one boom or are you postioning them around the kit on separate booms??
Old 05-09-2003, 01:18 AM

Well, here is something I have. Its not my playing, nor is it a complete and rehearsed band. It has no mix compression or EQ on it, and there are 3 mics and all drum faders are at the same level as each other. I did employ the enhance switch on the Digimax, and use the limiters on all the channels to some degree. Again, no mix tricks here, all faders up. And its an uncompressed file, so no funny business on the way to the 'net.
http://hogheavenmedia.com/mix.wav

This other one is not really ideal, but WTF. Different drummer with me on bass, and he put a sock across part of the snare drum, which is the same as before. The preamp is the Octopre, with no limiting or EQ at all anywhere, and all faders up for the drums. The thing about this recording, aside from the sock on the drum, is that the drummer is a lefty playing on my righty kit, and he moves a lot of stuff around. This recording is only a 3 piece kit and two cymbals after he makes his hybrid adjustments. I didn't have time to move mics and this is more or less a jam so the mics are facing a drumset in a semiarbitary manner. Its sort of a joke, really.
http://hogheavenmedia.com/sample.wav

Mics can be seen here:
http://www.hogheavenmedia.com/studio_images.html They sort of face slightly backward from a point more or less centered over the kick and toms, but they dont aim directly at cymbals, because I prefer to get the entire kit in the overheads.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on the overheads, TAPKAE. Even in the overheads, the snare sounds kinda dead (both overheads were pointing towards the snare). However, I think (and the drummer agrees), the snare itself doesn't really have that sharp a tone. So, maybe the mic is just telling me what's there to begin with! Note, although I used 5 mics on the kit, I completely agree that the overheads are supplying the lion's share of the drum sounds. The kick, snare and HH mics are just there to be able to fiddle with the levels or put a bit of reverb, eq or compression on the individual instruments during mixdown.

Charlie.