Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-04-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Drum micing/mics

I have to rent some mics to mic up a drum kit. I would like 2 room mics, 2 overheads, 2 snare, 2 bass drum, tom and hat mics. I have an AT 4050 some 57's and a d112 already. I would love some recommendations on some mics I can rent to fufill my needs. Hopefully nothing to esoteric or hard to get as I have to find these hopefully fairly cheap. Any opinions on Neumann km 184's or SM 81's? I might be able to borrow these. Where would you put them? Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Drum micing/mics

I would use two AKG 414s or two Neumann U87s in stereo for either overheads or room mics. I'd use a 57 and EV RE-20 on the kick. I'd place the RE-20 halfway inside the shell and the 57 at an angle near the drum head. The RE-20 would provide the boom and the 57 the tap/click. You could mic the snare top (and bottom) with 57s or Sennheiser 421s. Finally, I'd mic toms (top and/or bottoms) with 57s or 421s. I'd try the KM184 on the hi hat. Have fun and good luck,
az
Old 08-04-2002, 06:44 PM

I would use two AKG 414s or two Neumann U87s in stereo for either overheads or room mics. I'd use a 57 and EV RE-20 on the kick. I'd place the RE-20 halfway inside the shell and the 57 at an angle near the drum head. The RE-20 would provide the boom and the 57 the tap/click. You could mic the snare top (and bottom) with 57s or Sennheiser 421s. Finally, I'd mic toms (top and/or bottoms) with 57s or 421s. I'd try the KM184 on the hi hat. Have fun and good luck,
az
Old 08-04-2002, 09:25 PM

Check out some Shure ksm-32's for overheads or set up a pair behind the drums for more room sound.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by laservision:
I have to rent some mics to mic up a drum kit. I would like 2 room mics, 2 overheads, 2 snare, 2 bass drum, tom and hat mics. I have an AT 4050 some 57's and a d112 already. I would love some recommendations on some mics I can rent to fufill my needs. Hopefully nothing to esoteric or hard to get as I have to find these hopefully fairly cheap. Any opinions on Neumann km 184's or SM 81's? I might be able to borrow these. Where would you put them? Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get another AT4050...use them as overheads.
Use the 57's for top and bottom snare.
Use the D112 for kick.
If you have an old speaker laying around, use the woofer as a kick drum mic...it picks up sub-sonic frequencies. Pin 2 hot is positive. Pin 1 and 3 are ground.
Get a pair of KM184...one for HH the other for ride if the song requires it.
Get three Sennheiser 421 for toms.
Get 2 boundary mics for rooms...like those RadioShack ones...they can be made to XLR.
None of these are esoteric and should get you going.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:03 AM

hello, this is what we use:
tlm 103's or km 184's as overhead. (the 103 give more natural, the 184 more high end)
sm81 on hihat, although hardly ever used, we keep miking it.
we use d112 for rock kick, but mostly we use a sennheiser e 602 (i believe it's that one)
this mic gives a very natural sound and a lot of low freq. we got very much compliments on
the kick sound. "did you trigger that kick ??" "NO."
we have 6 beyer/dynamic opus 87 for toms and snare, very fast and easy to set up, and the best natural tom sound i've ever heard. they are my favourite ! i'm not a fan of a sm57 on the snare, so i use the opus87 or some other condenser. i think i experiment with the snare sound/mic the most. (btw, i stopped gating the snare and stopped filtering the low end, and the results where a better snaresound !)
some times we use a condenser mic for the snare bottom, like a sm81 or something like that
a small diaphragm for capturing the snaresound.
we have 2 special boom stands for positioning the ovheads over the drumkit, not behind it, and
the drumsound improved by 100 procent.
we have a pearl master series maple drumkit, proper tuned and with different cymbals. the sound of this drumkit is super. if you stick one sm58 in front of it, you'll still love it.
i'd like to have a re20, but they're still very expensive, i used one in a session some time ago and was heavily impressed. the same with md421 for toms, although not natural sounding, but for rock, very good. i think we own 6 sm57 and 5 sm58 and they are always welcome when you're experimenting. a sm57 inside a tom, like you do with the kick, can add power. you can tune the sound like you do with a kick, very handy. i think you can use them on toms and snare.
greetings, tantejo.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:24 PM

Here's one of my favorite setups Note that I don't say, "here's my setup". I listen, then create the sound I want for that artist. However, this is a great sound!

OH - A pair of matched C12's or C24.
Toms - SM57's, 421's, etc...
Snare - Milab DC96
Kick - RE-20 in or near the rear head. 414 (gold if you have it) about 6-7 feet away from the kick level with the top of the rim.
Room - I like M49's a lot from room mic's. Get a pair, put them in a nice spot in the room, then compress the heck out of them. Set up an old compressor like an old Neve or Joe Meek or something pretty radical. Lot's of reduction, fast attack time, and a fairly quick release. Bring these into the mix later!!!

Good luck. Order some extra stuff and play around with them.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:36 AM

I'm looking into putting together a fairly permanent installation as well in my home studio mic'ing a drum kit. I've mic'ed for live shows using the following:

Overheads: Shure PG81
Kick: Shure PG52
Toms: Shure PG56
Snare Top (no bottom mic): Shure SM57
HiHat: Shure SM57

Now, for relatively good studio recordings, could I use the same techniques of live drum mic'ing as in the studio and achieve a good sound using these same mics? And of course, with ProTools plug-ins, I could easily sweeten it without needing room mics! (Right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 08-06-2002, 06:58 AM

I personally either use only one overhead or only one room mic. There can be some major issues with phasing doing both stereo.

I typically use a stereo verhead (Shure VP-88) and one room mic in omni mode (AKG C4000B)
Bass drum-Shure Beta 52 or Audio technica 4033A
Snare top-Audio Technica 4041
I've stopped using a snare bottom, as I find I can get a far better sound with one properly placed mic and properly placed overheds.
Highhat-I track it but hardly ever use it, once again the properly placed overhead giving me plenty of hats.
Toms-AKG C414B-ULS, Shure SM-98's (not the beta ones) or Sennheiser 409's or e609's.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:20 AM

hello, tantejo again.
where02190 wrote that he hardly used the bottom, and that's also my experience, just i record
it, because you never know. the same with the hihat, although sometimes it's usefull to put a flanger on it. i like that effect, and you can't do it when you take a hihat from the overheads.
something about the phase problems with 2 overheads: there's been a hefty discussion about it for several times. i like to record it with 2 overheads. sometimes it's usefull to set one overhead out of phase. the sound seems to open. at least to my ears. you can have some more control over the individual cymbal sound and levels, by placing the 2 mic's away from the middle of the drumkit. i always gate the toms. ( i use a drawmer punch gate, which i very much like). then i put a global reverb on the toms and snare and a different reverb on the snare extra. most of the time it is a long reverb or a reverb with much ambient, whatever suit the song. this reverb is only triggered sometimes or with some velocities. (using a gate).
the whole drumkit is set to a stereo bus (i use a console) and a reverb is placed over the drumkit. all this is carefully done, i should say. the result is still naturall, but more powerfull and
yet still open. not cluttered. (that's the goal, at least).
sometimes i put a delay on the hihat track, so the hihat will mix better into the total drum track.
no need to say that i don't use a room mic.
greetings, tantejo.
btw i should say that i have a sampler too......( and a dm5)