Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Default Can't m-powered and HD coexist?

I've been running M-Powered v8 for a while now, but just installed my HD system in the same computer and was prompted to uninstall M-Powered before finishing the HD v8 installation. I thought they'd been able to coexist since 7.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Can't m-powered and HD coexist?

Nope.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM

so it's 2011 now, is this still a problem? i use HD for it's better, zero-latency monitoring (with effects if the artist wants them in his headphones) plus of course better inputs and converters. however waves IR-L wont work as a tdm plug in, and as it's my bestest most favoritest and expensiveist reverb, i use it all the time. BUT it's got a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty lag when i'm running all my other effects on tdm that makes it totally unusable. i've got an m-audio ozonic that i bought to use with my laptop but wound up moving to my studio when the audio i/o on the 192 I/O started getting glitchy. it worked great for mixing, and got along fine with IR-L as well as all my other plugins. but now the 192 is repaired and i'd LOVE to get both HD and Mpowered running. can i, huh, can i? pretty please? lol

but seriously, i've been trying to get both versions of protools going, and it's not pretty. is it really still impossible for the two versions to peacefully coexist on my computer? why is that?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaz View Post
so it's 2011 now, is this still a problem?
No... it's called Pro Tools 9.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 PM

hmm, i wonder what i wrote to get bleeped? i can't even remember lol! i can't think of anything that ends in -ty though!

ps. for the record, both versions are pt8 with the latest updates, and i'm on mac 10.5.8. i don;t want to upgrade to 10.6 cause it would cost hundreds if not thousands of $$$$ to upgrade my waves platinum bundle. (though i'd consider it if they finally got around to getting IR-L onto a tdm chip like altiverb has!)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
No... it's called Pro Tools 9.
oh, hey, so your saying pt9 does this? is this verifiable, can anyone confirm they've done this?

i'll google it as soon as i type this, but if i upgrade to pt9 am i gonna have to (pay out the ***** to) upgrade my waves bundle?

i just got paid for a bu++load of new years and xmas gigs, 10.6 & pt9 oughtta be stable and playing nice together by now... maybe it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade?

or i could just get altiverb tdm lol
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
hmm, i wonder what i wrote to get bleeped? i can't even remember lol! i can't think of anything that ends in -ty though!

ps. for the record, both versions are pt8 with the latest updates, and i'm on mac 10.5.8. i don;t want to upgrade to 10.6 cause it would cost hundreds if not thousands of $$$$ to upgrade my waves platinum bundle. (though i'd consider it if they finally got around to getting IR-L onto a tdm chip like altiverb has!)
As far as I know, if you have WUP, it shouldn't cost you much more than $200 to upgrade Waves.

There's nothing you can do about it with PT8.

With PT9, it's as simple as selecting your interface of choice in Hardware Engine. Pro Tools will work exactly the same on your Ozonic as it will on your core card, save for TDM plugins.

D

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM

yeah, you're right, i dug around on the waves website right after i sent this. $200 for a year of upgrades doesn't seem like *that* much money, why does everyone complain about WUP so much? i guess $200 looks different when you've got enough $$$ for a hd system and mercury bundle than if you're just getting a smaller package for a cheap m-audio system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
With PT9, it's as simple as selecting your interface of choice in Hardware Engine. Pro Tools will work exactly the same on your Ozonic as it will on your core card, save for TDM plugins.
hmmmm, it seems like i can already do that with pt8. i'm gonna mess around with it a bit (starting with getting HD installed and running again) and see what happens.

so just for the record, are you *really* SURE all my waves plugins will run as rtas, without any delay/lag, just like they do with pt8-Maudio, running pt HD 9 on a system with both HD and m-audio, just by selecting the ozonic as the hardware engine?

sorry to be so nit-picky, but i'd have to spend a pretty big chunk of money to do this - fair or not, 200 bucks is 200 bucks, plus upgrading PT, plus upgrading to snow leopard (as long as i'm splashing out for all the other upgrades)...

so, to make a long response short: REALLY? you absolutely CAN run protoolsHD 9 on ozonic m-audio hardware, with all of the plugins (waves in particular) running in RTAS with no lag, just like they do in pt8 M-audio? can anyone confirm this is true?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM

hmmm, looking at pt9 HD (which to be honest i hadn't even been thinking about till now) i see they've finally got "automatic delay compensation" so i suppose that answers my question. perhaps even i can just mix away in HD, and throw in IR-L in rtas and not hear a delay? does this sh!+ acually work?

if so, it'd be about time. great, there goes a several hundred dollars!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
hmmm, looking at pt9 HD (which to be honest i hadn't even been thinking about till now) i see they've finally got "automatic delay compensation" so i suppose that answers my question. perhaps even i can just mix away in HD, and throw in IR-L in rtas and not hear a delay? does this sh!+ acually work?

if so, it'd be about time. great, there goes a several hundred dollars!
Yes, PT9 finally introduces native ADC!

Since you have HD, you will have access to the full HD software even if you are using the M-Audio hardware. The only thing you will sacrifice by using the Ozonic is TDM features (plugins mainly). Otherwise, you will have exactly the same voice/track count, Import/Export features, Time Code, and even the window scrolling features.

Welcome to a new world of Pro Tools.

D